The Very Best Guacamole Recipe
No party is complete without an easy dip and this Simple Guacamole Recipe is sure to please. Made in minutes with fresh avocado, red bell pepper, onion, garlic and cilantro, this version has a secret spice to bump up the flavor making it completely addictive.
Originally published February 2017 and updated January 2020.
The first time I tried guacamole I dipped into it with some hesitation. It just didn’t look very good as it had been sitting around for quite a bit. It wasn’t a bright, vibrant green like you see in pictures…it was a weird grayish, blackish green and was starting to separate a bit. I didn’t even take a bite, I dipped my chip and then kinda hid it under some plates that were scattered around the table.
I decided at that point I didn’t like guacamole OR avocados for that matter. This guacamole hatred lasted for a very long time and I couldn’t figure out WHY people felt the need to keep putting it out at every single party I attended. I was more of a queso girl and nobody puts out the queso dip regularly….WHY tho?
THEN, I met my husband and he is a guacamole-aholic. He gets extra guac with everything and often complains at the size of the “extra” that they give him. It’s like a tablespoon for $4. So not worth it….until you try it.
Yes, I tried it and it was absolute buttery heaven. Such a far departure from that gray, nastiness that was served at that party years ago. So, I, of course, decided to delve into the guacamole making myself. It’s far less expensive than “extra guacamole”.
THE VERY BEST GUACAMOLE
If you’ve never had guacamole….boy are you in for a treat! It’s an avocado based dip or spread that originated in Mexico by Aztecs. Aside from it being used as the BEST DIP EVER, you can also use it as a spread for sandwiches or as a topping for burgers, salmon or tacos.
Being the overachiever I am in the kitchen…I had to ensure that I made the Very Best Guacamole Recipe ever! You know, or else…why would it be even worth the effort.
So, I grabbed a few avocados, some vegetables, spices and garlic….and went to work. I mashed everything up in a bowl, tasted it, added a few more things, tasted it….dumped it in the trash. Started over. It’s a process but what I found was…I don’t like tomatoes in my guacamole….I love jalapeños and fresh red bell pepper in it….garlic is a must…..spice it up with some ground cumin and lots of lime is key.
Also….cilantro. Don’t leave it out. Unless you’re one of those “cilantro tastes like soap” people. Then, I understand if you want to make your guacamole recipe without cilantro.
INGREDIENTS IN GUACAMOLE
If you’re wondering what guacamole is made of, it’s pretty simple, actually. The base for homemade guacamole is primarily avocado with lime juice, garlic and seasonings. I like to add more flavor in the form of finely diced jalapenos, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro and cumin. Salt and pepper are also included but that’s kinda a given if you ask me.
Some people (my husband) like to add tomato to their guacamole recipe but I’m not a fan so I used red bell pepper for crunch, color and texture. Plus, the sweetness of the bell pepper is lovely with the lime and buttery avocado.
HOW TO MAKE GUACAMOLE
My husband agreed that this is the Very Best Guacamole Recipe and that means a lot being he’s a longtime guac lover. He likeS to make his in a zip top bag and squish it around until it’s pretty smooth. I like big chunks so I mash mine up with a fork or a potato masher.
This simple guacamole recipe takes just minutes to make and I think it tastes just like the Chipotle Guacamole recipe.
Here’s how to make it:
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mash with a fork until well blended or until the desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
- Stuff your face.
TIPS FOR THE BEST GUACAMOLE RECIPE
- AVOCADO – Ripeness is key here so picking the right avocado is paramount. Too hard and you can’t mash it up, too soft and well, it’s just rotten. So, I like to give it a light squeeze and if it gives a little then you’re good. Also, remove the little stem at the end of the avocado…if it’s green then it’s still good. Black…put it back. If you squeeze your avocado and the skin feels like it’s hollow, your avocado is past it’s prime.
- MAKE AHEAD – You can make your guacamole in advance but be sure to put a thin layer of water on top before sealing in an airtight container. This will keep your guacamole from turning gray or black.
- FREEZE – You can totally freeze your guacamole in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Pack the guacamole in a zip-top bag and squeeze all of the air out, or transfer to a freezer container and press a layer of plastic wrap onto the surface of the guacamole to protect it from freezer burn.
This authentic guacamole recipe is fantastic served with homemade tortilla chips and freshly made salsa. You can also get crafty with it, like I did with this Pineapple Guacamole. Trust me, you will see many more variations of guacamole here soon….as I’m now an addict.
Love guacamole as much as we do? Try this easy Guacamole Salad, too!
Want more deliciously amazing and easy recipes? Follow us over on Instagram and Facebook! And don’t forget to check out our YOUTUBE channel for more tastiness!
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Guacamole Recipe
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (or less if you like it less spicy)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until well blended.
- Serve immediately.