Green Tea Shot
No need to head to the bar and overpay for a Green Tea Shot when you can pour one at home in no time! This famously smooth shot is sweet, tangy, and has just the right amount of whiskey. The funny part? It has no green tea in it!
Green Tea Shot
How old were you when you learned that green tea shots have no green tea in them? Don’t tell the 20-something year olds at the bar that, though. We don’t want to pop their bubble! The green tea shot was actually given that name because of its greenish hue that makes it resemble green tea. It’s actually a mixture of Irish whiskey, peach Schnapps, sweet and sour mix and an optional splash of lemon lime soda.
This might just be the smoothest shot there is. I’m definitely not a shot girl by any means – I much prefer a cocktail or a glass of wine! However, a properly made green tea shot is so sweet and smooth that it’s hard to believe there’s as much alcohol in it as there is. If you want to have the fun of taking a shot with your friends without it being followed immediately by the grossed out faces, this is the shot for you!
While there may be a little bit more going on here than your usual shot, have no fear. This fruity shot is still so easy to make! You pretty much just pour your measured ingredients into a cocktail shaker, shake it, pour into a shot glass and enjoy. I do recommend drinking responsibly, of course. Green tea shots are so easy to shoot that it’s easy to get carried away and have them sneak up on you.
How to Make a Green Tea Shot
Grab your cocktail shaker and let’s get the party started!
- Shake it up. Pour all of the measured ingredients (except for the soda) in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake to combine.
- Pour. Strain the mixture into a shot glass. Cheers!
What’s in a Green Tea Shot
Here’s your short and sweet shopping list:
- Irish Whiskey – Try to use a good quality/middle of the road bottle of Irish whiskey. When it comes to shots, quality certainly matters! And if you have any left over, use it to make Irish Coffee.
- Peach Schnapps – This contributes to the alcohol content and it makes the flavor so fun and fruity!
- Sweet n Sour Mix – The famous color of the green tea shot comes from this ingredient. Plus, the mix adds to the sweetness of the shot while also balancing it out with a tangy sour flavor.
- Lemon Lime Soda – This ingredient is optional, but recommended if you want to tame the flavor of the whiskey even more.
What’s the difference between a white tea shot and a green tea shot?
A white tea shot contains vodka and a green tea shot contains whiskey. They’re pretty similar other than the liquor!
Can I make green tea shots ahead of time?
Absolutely! However, don’t add the lemon lime soda until you’re ready to serve them. You can keep green tea shots in the fridge for a few hours before the party starts.
How do I serve green tea shots?
Green tea shots are so much fun for serving at parties! Consider making a whole smorgasbord of fun shots to go along with them, like lemon drop shots, beach party pudding shots and if you’re feeling patriotic some red white and blue jello shots!
Bottoms up! Check out more of my favorite party cocktail recipes.
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
- Cucumber Empress Gin and Tonic Cocktail
- Prickly Pear Margarita
- Pineapple Prosecco Wine Slushie
- Lemon Drop Shot
Get the Recipe: Green Tea Shot Recipe
- 1/2 ounce Irish Whiskey
- 1/2 ounce Peach Schnapps
- 1/2 ounce Sweet n Sour Mix
- Lemon Lime Soda, optional
- 1 cocktail shaker
- Add the whiskey, schnapps and sour mix to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake to combine.
- Strain the mixture into a shot glass and top with lemon lime soda.