Grilled Chicken Gyro Recipe
Tender chicken and veggies wrapped up in soft pita, this Grilled Chicken Gyro recipe is so simple to make. Follow my easy make ahead tips so you can pull this one together for a quick weeknight dinner!
Sometimes it’s difficult to write a story about a favorite food of mine when there’s so much going on in the rest of the world. The news makes my head hurt…from the coverage of Hurricane Harvey (and the second landfall….WTF), the launching of missiles on the other side of the world and the stresses of just everyday life that other’s have to face….I have it really easy. Struggling with trying to write about a sandwich or cake, that’s my biggest problem right this moment and for that….I’m so thankful. But I think life has a way of balancing itself out and what I’m witnessing in the south right now is somewhat comforting, the neighbors helping each other…pulling their parents, children, pets out of the floodwaters and trying to find a way to make it another day. Putting differences aside to survive….together. We are all human, after all, and we have all experienced some level of hardship. It’s time we just all stay unified to rebuild and be stronger than ever before.
My life was not always so simple….I was a single mom with a job and a young child to take care of. An apartment I couldn’t afford with two cats that someone had gifted my daughter (which was so super sweet but I had to FEED them, too!) Money was tight….there were times I’d enter my apartment and hold my breath when I turned on the lights hoping they were still working. I was paid once a month….the first of the month and that’s when I’d do ALL my grocery shopping. I’d buy a ton of pantry staples and freezable food. The rest I’d prep and freeze for easy dinners later. This Grilled Chicken Gyro recipe was one of those freezer meals that I loved so much.
I’d buy a big pack of chicken breasts at Costco and break it down according to my plans for dinner. For this Grilled Chicken Gyro recipe I’d put a couple chicken breasts in a freezer bag and add some Greek Vinaigrette...press out the air, seal and freeze. When I knew I wanted to have a chicken gyro one night, I’d thaw the chicken while I was at work and then toss it on the grill when I got home. Dinner in less than 30 minutes and this was one that my daughter would eat MOST of the items…like the chicken and cucumbers with some torn up pita on the side. Healthy and satisfying.
The flavors in this Grilled Chicken Gyro are beyond mind-blowing. This version even has a homemade Tzatziki Sauce that also doubles as a veggie dip, salad dressing, burger topper or you can shovel it into your mouth with a spoon. It’s that good. It’s great served hot or you can throw everything into a meal prep bowl and make yourself one at work…..your coworkers will be hovering around your cubicle for sure. It’s one of my favorite work day lunches or dinner…..and if you’re looking for more sandwich-y meals you should definitely try this Southwestern Steak Wrap OR this easy Chicken Waldorf salad. So, totally amazing.
Grilled Chicken Gyro Recipe
lunch time calls for this grilled chicken gyro recipe!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Greek Vinaigrette
- 1 cup Tzatziki Sauce
- 4 pocketless Pita Bread
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 to mato thinly sliced
- 1/2 thinly sliced cucumber
- 4 green lettuce leaves
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Place the chicken in a resealable bag and pour the vinaigrette over it to coat. Press out the air and seal. Marinade the chicken for 1 hour or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (Chicken can be frozen at this point. Thaw completely before moving to step 2)
- Grill the chicken over a medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and continue cooking until cooked through, approximately an additional 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain.
- Spread 1/4 of the tzatziki sauce on one side of the pita. Repeat with remaining pita bread.
- Arrange the lettuce, chicken, onion, tomato and cucumber on the pita. Sprinkle with the feta cheese.
- Fold the pita around the filling and serve immediately.
Chicken can be marinaded and frozen for up to 2 months.