Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
A classic reinvented, Chicken Waldorf Salad is the perfect dish for an easy weeknight dinner. Crunchy walnuts, crisp apples, grapes and chicken are tossed with a light dressing for a truly amazing meal.
We are one step closer to summer and I’m pulling out all my favorite no cook, quick and easy meals to ensure I’m spending more time poolside…..less time stove side! Who’s with me? I love simple dinners in the summer…and, as much as I love to grill, sometimes the summer heat is just too much to stand over a 600 degree inferno. That’s when I try to repurpose things I have leftover from the not so hot days when I did actually cook like this Barbecue Chicken Cobb Salad! It’s always a big hit when the thermostat starts to shoot up.
I fell in love with Waldorf Salad at a family potluck when I was a kid. I remember thinking what a genius thing it was to toss together some apples, grapes and walnuts with a creamy dressing….it was like dessert to me but served alongside the chicken, burgers and dogs. I could eat buckets of it, so fresh and crisp. And then….no more. For some reason, this retro classic kinda fell off the face of the earth at family gatherings and since I was a kid, I didn’t think much of it. Then, when I was out on my own and I was figuring out this whole cooking thing, I decided to take a crack at it. And…it was so easy, I started making it on an almost weekly basis.
THEN, one day I thought it would be a good idea to add a little chicken….because I LOVE chicken salad and my family wasn’t really digging the whole fruit salad idea for dinner. It was fantastic….and now Chicken Waldorf Salad is a staple in our house during the warmer months.
This Chicken Waldorf Salad recipe is ready in minute when I use leftover chicken from our Sunday dinners. Otherwise, I like to use these roasted chicken breasts….they stay tender and moist in the salad without drying out. The rest of the salad comes together in about 10 minutes and would be fantastic served as a sandwich. OR you could totally low carb it and serve on some lettuce leaves for a simple light lunch. Served with a tall glass of lemonade, this is even swanky enough for those ladies that lunch!
Classic Waldorf salad pumped up with added protein, this Chicken Waldorf salad is a meal all by itself!
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken breasts
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 1 cup halved green grapes
- 2 cups chopped red apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low fat greek yogurt
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- In a large bowl, toss together the chicken, grapes, apple, walnuts and celery. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, parsley and chives until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.