Homemade Cheddar Chex Mix
Enjoy this Homemade Cheddar Chex Mix by the handful! All of your favorite crunchy snacks are tossed together in an easy to make, mouthwatering combination of flavors. Once you taste how flavor-packed this snack mix is, you’ll find it pretty hard to ever go back to the store-bought stuff. Also, if you’re looking for the perfect homemade gifts, bag this snack up. Your friends and neighbors will thank you!
Homemade Cheddar Chex Mix
Let’s be very honest with one another. We’ve all been there before – maybe you’re chatting on the phone. Or, you’re watching a movie. You might even be stuck in rush hour traffic. Whatever the attention-grabbing situation is, the outcome has been the same… You just about finished off a bag of Chex Mix without even noticing! Cheddar Chex Mix is so addicting, the bag should really come with a warning.
Well, now you can print out your own warning label and slap it onto whatever food storage container you choose to keep this homemade mix in. And make sure that warning is clear, because this stuff is even more addictive than the store-bought mix! It may be hard to believe, as that bag of snack mix is so beloved by all (including myself), but this homemade mix is the real deal. Plus, it’s super easy to make, and doesn’t have half of those crazy chemicals in it.
Once you start making your own homemade snacks of any kind, it’s pretty hard to go back to store-bought. Not only is this Chex Mix more delicious than the bag at the store, but I can also personalize it any way I want. Plus, I can make a huge batch for a pretty low cost. Overall, I love tossing this stuff together and popping it into an airtight container. It’s perfect for movie nights, putting in lunch boxes, and eating by the handful!
How to Make It
This homemade cheddar Chex Mix is SO easy to make! The hardest part is waiting for it to cool off so you can dig in.
- Heat it up. Preheat your oven to 250°F.
- Create the mix. In a large bowl combine the cereal, goldfish, pretzels and cheese crackers.
- Make it flavorful. In a small bowl, mix melted butter, worcheshire sauce, seasoning salt, garlic powder and onion powder together.
- Coat it. Pour the seasoning mix over the cereal mixture and stir gently until evenly coated.
- Make it cheesy! Next sprinkle with the cheese and stir to coat again.
- Bake. Spread out the mix on your largest baking sheet or 2 smaller baking sheets. You want the cereal in as even a layer as you can but since we will be stirring frequently it will cook evenly. Bake at 250°F for 45-50 minutes stirring every 15 minutes until toasted and golden.
- Cool. Let the chex mix cool on the baking sheet before serving or packaging up. Enjoy!
How long will homemade cheddar Chex Mix stay fresh?
In an airtight food storage container, this snack mix will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks. That’s plenty of time to enjoy your new favorite midday snack! With that being said, though, this stuff never seems to last in my house for over a couple of days. Too many hands are digging into it!
What else can I add to this snack mix?
If a little heat is what you’re craving, toss a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce into the butter mixture! Just be careful, because once that hot sauce is in there, there’s no getting it out. I recommend tasting as you go to avoid it being too spicy. Another great ingredient to toss into this customizable mix are nuts of any kind! Sometimes, I like to add a handful or so of salted peanuts to give this mix even more flavor and texture.
Keep snacking, friends!
For more easy snack ideas, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Cheddar Chex Mix
- 9 cups corn chex cereal
- 2 cups goldfish crackers
- 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- 2 cups cheese crackers, like cheez-its
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons Cheddar Cheese Powder
- baking sheet
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the cereal, goldfish, pretzels and cheese crackers.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter, worcheshire sauce, seasoning salt, garlic powder and onion powder together.
- Pour the seasoning mix over the cereal mixture and stir gently until evenly coated.
- Next sprinkle with the cheese and stir to coat again.
- Spread out the chex mix on your largest baking sheet or 2 smaller baking sheets. You want the cereal in as even a layer as you can but since we will be stirring frequently it will cook evenly.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 45-50 minutes stirring every 15 minutes until toasted and golden.
- Let the chex mix cool on the baking sheet before serving or packaging up.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
7 Comments on “Homemade Cheddar Chex Mix”
did I miss something, where does the cheddar cheese powder come from?
You can buy it at the store or online. https://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese-Hoosier-Hill-Farm/dp/B008GG9ZS8?th=1
Thanks, Kellie! I lost my recipe in a move. THis mix ROCKS!
Can I use white cheddar cheese popcorn seasoning?
You can do that but be sure to use less salt because popcorn seasoning has a bit more sodium than the cheese powder I use.
WHERE DO YOU GET CHEESE POWDER?
We order our’s from King Arthur flour but you can find it on Amazon or in the baking department of your local grocery store.