Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs
This easy Peanut Butter Eggs recipe is a copycat that’s better than the original Reese’s eggs you buy at the store. Made with just four ingredients, these easy peanut butter easter eggs are so totally addicting.
Easter is, by far, my favorite food holiday because you have a wide array of options to satisfy any craving. From a salty, sweet ham to a basket filled with confections, there’s no shortage of tasty treats.
And when it comes to the Easter basket, my go-to immediate candy is definitely the Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs. Always a favorite growing up, our’s were homemade for years and way better than the store bought.
I’ve been making Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs for decades and decided to revamp the recipe just a bit to make them even better. These easy chocolates are so simple to make in just a few minutes, you’ll wonder why you don’t just make them all year long.
EASY PEANUT BUTTER EGGS
I’ve been making chocolate truffles for years and this recipe is kinda of like a peanut butter truffle but shaped like an egg. And, if you want, decorated with sprinkles to make them more festive.
You only need four ingredients to make your candy eggs….peanut butter, confectioner’s sugar, butter and chocolate. You can also use vanilla as I did in this recipe which elevates the flavor even more. You don’t know it’s there but they definitely taste like the most amazing candy ever made.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER EGGS
This easter candy is super easy to make. Some people call them three ingredient peanut butter eggs but since they are then coated in chocolate I don’t feel like that’s accurate.
To make your eggs, add the peanut butter, sugar, butter and vanilla, if using, to a large bowl.
Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until it begins to form a crumbly ball. You want the mixture to be firm enough to hold together but not overly soft or sticky. The confectioner’s sugar helps to hold the mixture together without it being too wet. If your mixture is still too dry, you can add a tablespoon of milk or half and half to help things come together.
Form the mixture into egg shapes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Transfer to the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl and dip the eggs to coat. Return to the baking sheet and allow the chocolate to set. You can decorate with sprinkles before the chocolate sets, if desired.
VARIATIONS ON PEANUT BUTTER EGGS
If you want to make your eggs a little bit extra, here are a few mix-ins to make them over the top amazing!
- Stir in some crumbled bacon with the peanut butter for some salty sweet BACON and eggs.
- Add a teaspoon espresso powder to your peanut butter mixture.
- A teaspoon of cinnamon adds fun spice to the peanut butter mixture.
What would YOU add to make your candy eggs your own?
If you just want a bite of chocolate for the grown ups, these easy Champagne Truffles are simple and AMAZING.
Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs Recipe
- 16 ounces confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla optional
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla (if using) until well combined. If the mixture seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon milk and beat until the mixture comes together.
- Shape the peanut butter mixture into 1 tablespoon sized eggs by rolling in your hands and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a freezer and freeze for 20-30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring in between each, until smooth.
- Dip the peanut butter eggs in the chocolate to coat and return to the baking sheet. Allow the eggs to sit at room temperature until set.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.