Hot Chocolate Bomb
The most fun way to whip up a mug of hot cocoa is with a Hot Chocolate Bomb and this recipe is simple, chocolate-y goodness! Easy to make Hot Cocoa Bombs make a great gift idea.
Hot Chocolate Bombs
If you’re even remotely ever on social media, you already know the latest food craze is the Hot Chocolate Bomb. Exploding on TikTok and Instagram, this chocolatey drink is a mug filled with magic!
We dove right into this craze with both feet and have never looked back. I love that you can easily customize your Hot Cocoa Bombs to fit any dietary or allergy needs. And you can decorate them for whatever holiday or event you want. They’re not just for Christmas!
If you’re new to the Hot Chocolate Bomb trend, you will be hooked immediately after trying one. They’re sold at many bakeries and you may be able to find them at Costco, Walmart or Target but they’re often sold out.
So, I made them myself and it’s amazingly easy to do! I even made a little video over on Instagram for my BOOZY Hot Chocolate Bomb!
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot Chocolate Bombs are round, hollow chocolate spheres that are filled with marshmallows, hot cocoa mix and sprinkles. They’re called “bombs” because they explode when you pour hot milk over top to melt the chocolate.
They’re incredibly easy to make at home BUT you will need the right tools.
What You Will Need
To make your chocolate bombs, you’ll need a hot chocolate bomb mold…also known as a silicone dome mold. You can get them on Amazon (I’ll make a small commission if you purchase them using this link. Thank you for your support.)
Chocolate – You can use any flavor chocolate from dark chocolate, bittersweet or white chocolate. We like to use milk chocolate for the kids because it has a milder flavor. Be sure to use a HIGH QUALITY chocolate and NOT chocolate chips. The meltability is much better when you use a good chocolate.
Cocoa Mix – I’m split on the opinion of whether you need to add cocoa mix or not. If you do want to add a spoonful of cocoa mix to your bombs, try this homemade version. It’s infinitely better than anything you’ll buy in the store. But store-bought is such a time saver….I get it. And I like shortcuts, too.
Marshmallows – Again, homemade is best here but you can use whatever your favorite marshmallows are. Mini is fun because you get a flurry of marshmallows when your bomb explodes.
Sprinkles – You don’t have to use sprinkles but they’re a fun extra. Most of them will sink to the bottom and sometimes the colors run turning your hot cocoa a weird color. But they’re still a blast. Get it? Ok…I’ll stop.
Extras – The sky’s the limit here on what you can put in your bomb but if you’re putting anything liquid in there like caramel sauce or booze, leave out the marshmallows, sprinkles and cocoa mix. They’ll only turn to goo and could ruin your cocoa bomb.
How To Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
Make sure your mold is clean and free of lint or dust particles. Anything in your mold will then be in your chocolate bomb.
- Melt the chocolate either in a double boiler over low heat or in the microwave. If you’re melting in the microwave, heat it on high power for 30 second increments stirring in between. Heat until the chocolate is smooth and free of lumps.
- Coat the wells of the mold with 1 tablespoon melted chocolate using the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides to cover completely.
- Chill the mold for 15 minutes until the chocolate is set.
- Add a second layer of chocolate using the same method as before and return to the refrigerator to set.
- Pop the dome out of the mold carefully and arrange on a baking sheet open side up.
- Dip the edges of the dome in melted chocolate and return to the baking sheet open side up.
- Fill half your domes with cocoa mix, marshmallows and sprinkles, if desired.
- Place the empty domes on top lining up the edges so the chocolate seals the bomb. (You can run your finger along the edge to fill in any gaps that may appear.)
- Allow the chocolate bombs to set and decorate with the remaining chocolate and sprinkles.
How To Melt Hot Cocoa Bombs
Now that your Hot Chocolate Bombs are ready, you can either package them up to give as gifts or you can enjoy one yourself!
Place the chocolate bomb in a mug and set aside.
Heat milk or water (we much prefer milk for the creaminess it lends to the finished product) until steaming.
Pour the milk over the chocolate bomb in one consecutive stream until the mug is filled. The constant force of the heated liquid is what melts the chocolate. If you stop pouring, it will take much longer for the bomb to melt.
Stir and enjoy! If your bomb didn’t explode as much as you wanted, stirring will blend all the ingredients together for you to enjoy.
How Long Will Hot Chocolate Bombs Last
You can keep your hot chocolate bombs for up to 1 month at room temperature. If you want to store them longer, move them to the refrigerator but allow them to come to room temperature before adding your milk.
More Easy Holiday Treats
If you love these Hot Chocolate Bombs as much as we do, you should definitely try this easy to make Cracker Toffee! It’s covered with chocolate and is simply addicting.
Get the Recipe: Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe
- 8 oz high quality dark chocolate
- ¼ cup hot cocoa mix
- Mini marshmallows, if desired
- Sprinkles, if desired
- Other add-ins as desired, see notes in post for suggestions
- silicone sphere mold
- Finely chop the chocolate and place in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and stir being sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to prevent burning.
- Return the chocolate to the microwave and heat for 30 seconds more. Remove and stir again. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Coat the inside of the sphere mold with the chocolate using a spoon or a paintbrush being sure to cover the entire surface all the way to the edges.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and add a second, thin layer of chocolate repeating the same process as before.
- Return to refrigerator to chill until firm.
- Remove the molds from the refrigerator and carefully remove the chocolate from the mold.
- If you have leftover melted chocolate, you can dip the edges into the chocolate to use as the glue OR you can heat a pan and lightly touch the edges of the dome to melt slightly. The pan method does ensure a cleaner seam but you need to be quick and careful that you don’t melt too much of your sphere.
- Fill half the spheres with 1 tablespoon cocoa mix, marshmallows and sprinkles.
- Using the remaining dome, top your filled halves and seal gently. Hold in place for a few seconds to give the chocolate a chance to set before moving to the next one.
- To decorate, drizzle with additional chocolate and sprinkles. (optional)
- To serve, place in a mug and slowly pour steaming hot milk over the hot chocolate bomb to explode.