Italian Pressed Picnic Sandwich
No worries about smashing this sandwich, pack it at the bottom of the cooler and load it up. This Italian Pressed Picnic Sandwich is stuffed with italian meats, cheeses and spreads. Held together by a crusty Ciabatta loaf, this is a definite crowd pleaser.
You know what I despise? A crushed beyond recognition sandwich. I try my best to pack things in lunches that can take a bit of a beating. PB&J on white bread? No go, they always end up a sticky, gooey mess if it’s not stowed in a rigid container. Ham and cheese on a soft roll? No way….I’ve done it and sometimes it’s just not a sandwich anymore, more like a cold casserole gone wrong. Like a Pinterest Fail. So I stick with hearty, crusty breads…or wraps like this tuna filled masterpiece and pita stuffed with things like this mediterranean veggie medley.
A sandwich for a crowd, that can be smashed and crushed like an old tin can, is great picnic grub. You put the weight of the cooler contents to good use and press that baby down as much as you can to help meld the flavors together. It’s definitely good eats…unless you’re one of THOSE people that doesn’t like sandwiches. I don’t even know what to say to THOSE people but they’re probably not going to be at one of my picnics. That’s for certain.
My Italian Pressed Picnic Sandwich is loaded with salami, hot cappicola, provolone, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, roasted red pepper, pesto and a balsamic vinaigrette. Pressed between two huge slices of ciabatta loaf and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, this sandwich is best made the day before. You could certainly make it the morning of the event but it does benefit greatly from the overnight pressing. Perfect for tailgating, soccer tournaments, harvest festivals, wine weekends, boat trips…you name it…this sandwich fits the bill.
Pack the Italian Pressed Picnic Sandwich under a bunch of frozen water bottles to keep it cold, then stack bowls of Chopped Italian Pasta Salad, the best broccoli salad ever and THIS ridiculously amazing potato salad for one epic outdoor soiree!
Get the Recipe: Italian Pressed Picnic Sandwich
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1 ciabatta loaf, sliced in half horizontally
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 pound salami
- 1/2 pound hot cappicola ham, or regular ham
- 1/4 pound pepperoni
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper until combined. Set aside.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the cut side of the top half of bread with the pesto. Then coat the cut side of the bottom half of bread with the vinaigrette.
- Layer the provolone cheese on the bottom half of the bread. Top the provolone with the salami, then arrange the cappicola over the salami. Layer the mozzarella on the cappicola and then top with the pepperoni. Arrange the roasted red peppers over the pepperoni and top with the remaining bread.
- Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and place a weighted object such as a brick or heavy skillet on top. Store in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to serve, unwrap the sandwich and slice into 10 pieces.