Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe Recipe
Want an easy Homemade Sloppy Joe recipe that’s quick and tasty? These Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes will fix that cheesesteak sandwich craving any day of the week. Super fast to make with ground beef, bell peppers, onions, cheese and seasoning that are mouthwateringly amazing.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
If you’ve ever been to Philadelphia surely you’ve tried a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. It’s an iconic meal here in the city of brotherly love and it’s one that we enjoy quite often here for dinner. Made correctly, they can be absolutely fantastic but I’m kind of a cheesesteak snob so we stick to our favorite sandwich shops like Pat’s or Jim’s.
It’s funny, all the cheesesteak places are just the names of men. But I digress…..sometimes they’re tricky to get right at home. I perfected the recipe for you when I made the Best Philly Cheesesteak recipe last year. It’s the real deal….and you don’t even have to come to Philadelphia to try it.
BUT if you’re looking for the same flavor and with even less fuss, I’d like to introduce you to my new favorite weeknight dinner….the Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe! It’s just like this easy sloppy joe recipe but with all the great flavor of an authentic Philly Cheesesteak!
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe
These easy sloppy joes are so simple to make using lean ground beef. Everything is made in one skillet so clean up is a breeze! I like to add bell peppers and onions to this recipe but you can also add mushrooms to the mix if you’re a fan. Mushrooms are not traditional in a cheesesteak sandwich but they are tasty with the ground beef.
I also like to use provolone and American cheese in this recipe but if you want something a bit sharper, cheddar will work well, too!
What is a Philly cheesesteak Sandwich
The Philadelphia Cheesesteak (as it’s formally known), is a steak sandwich served in a long, crusty sub or hoagie roll and is popular in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The steak is usually made of ribeye beef and is topped or tossed with cheese anns.
Most Philly Cheesesteaks are served with a processed cheese spread (Cheese Whiz) and onions are totally optional but the BEST Philly Cheesesteaks are tossed generously with melted American cheese.
Making a homemade Philly Cheesesteak sandwich can be fussy and tedious if you have to slice the ribeye yourself. So, this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe is much simpler to pull together in less time than it would take to make a cheesesteak from scratch.
How To Make It
This easy one pot dinner will come together for you in just 30 minutes. Simmered in a sauce made with rich beef stock, this is one you’ll place on repeat!
To start, brown the ground beef in a heavy duty skillet. Be sure to allow the ground beef to develop a brown crust before stirring and breaking apart even further. The crust gives the sloppy joe a rich, deep flavor. I like to use a cast iron skillet like this one because it retains heat well contributing to maximum flavor.
Once the beef is browned, transfer it to a bowl with a slotted spoon and drain off all but two tablespoons of the fat. Add the onions and peppers to the skillet and cook until softened.
Return the beef to the skillet and stir in the remaining ingredients except the cheese. (We’ll add that later).
Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
Place the cheese on top of the ground beef mixture and allow to melt. Stir the cheese into the beef.
Serve the cheesesteak sloppy joes on these buttery brioche hamburger rolls with Cheez Whiz, if desired. It’s not necessary but some cheesesteak purists would hunt me down if I didn’t mention the whiz.
What To Serve With It
While french fries or tater tots are our go-to, sometimes we just like to serve them with a pile of Salt and Vinegar Potatoes chips and a plate filled with Bread and Butter pickles.
They’re also amazing with a spoonful of potato salad or something healthier like these easy sweet peas.
For MORE EASY FAMILY DINNERS be sure to follow us over on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups grated provolone cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef to the skillet and break apart with a fork. Cook the ground beef until brown and a deep crust begins to form.
- Continue cooking until no longer pink.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl and drain off all but two tablespoons fat.
- Add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then toss the vegetables and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until softened and beginning to caramelize.
- Return the beef back to the skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth and cornstarch.
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, beef broth/cornstarch mixture to the skillet and stir.
- Simmer the sloppy joe mixture for 5-8 minutes or until beginning to thicken.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the provolone cheese.
- Served on hamburger buns.