Hot Buttered Rum
This is the absolute best Hot Buttered Rum recipe! Dark rum, hot coffee and spiced butter come together to create the most amazing medley of cozy flavors. There’s nothing quite like sipping on a proper hot buttered rum on a chilly day!
Hot Buttered Rum
It’s officially hot buttered rum season! As the cold fronts start rolling in, my need for all things warm and cozy in the kitchen kicks into high gear. While the kids cozy up with some Crockpot hot chocolate, I’ll be watching the leaves fall with a hot buttered rum in my hands! It’s sweet, spiced, warm, and spiked with just the right amount of dark rum.
This is the very best hot buttered rum recipe. I know, that’s a pretty bold statement… But it’s true. The not-so-secret ingredient that puts this recipe for hot buttered rum a step above the rest is the butter itself. Salted room temperature butter is mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg, then it’s mixed with the coffee and rum to create the best signature buttered rum flavor.
Since you’re making this hot buttered rum cocktail at home, you can decide what goes into it! Make it a double, add more or less sugar, use salted or unsalted butter – there are so many ways to get creative here. However, I do recommend trying my version the way it’s listed first because it’s pretty close to total perfection. Serve your hot buttered rums at Thanksgiving or your next Christmas party for a real treat!
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum
This hot buttered rum recipe reigns supreme! It’s SO easy to make and deliciously smooth to sip on.
- Make the butter. Beat together the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg together until smooth and combined. Let it chill in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. You want it to be pretty firm.
- Brew the coffee. This is great to do while you’re waiting for the butter to chill.
- Pour and stir. Place 1 TBSP of the spiced butter into your favorite coffee mug (everything tastes better in your favorite mug). Pour in 1 oz of rum followed up 1 cup of coffee. Stir to combine, then repeat the process with the remaining butter, rum, and coffee.
- Enjoy! Top off your cocktail with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Curl up with your favorite cozy blanket and enjoy!
What is hot buttered rum?
Hot buttered rum is a rum based cocktail that features butter, coffee, and sweetener. In this recipe, the butter itself is sweetened with brown sugar and spiced with cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. It’s best served warm with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
What type of rum is best for hot buttered rum?
I like using a middle of the road bottle of dark rum! Light/white rum will NOT work as a substitute, it needs to be dark. Most popular brands will work just fine. Try to avoid using super cheap bottom shelf options. As a rule of thumb, remember that the quality of your cocktail directly reflects the quality of the liquor you use.
What does a hot buttered rum taste like?
This rum cocktail is pretty strong, but the liquor is complimented beautifully by the strongly brewed coffee. The signature buttery flavor is made all the more delicious by brown sugar and a medley of warm autumnal spices. This cozy after-dinner cocktail is best served warm in a mug.
Sip on more of my favorite fall and winter cocktails!
- Apple Cider Margarita
- Sparkling Spiced Pumpkin Punch
- Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria
- Pomegranate Rum Punch
- Hot Toddy
Get the Recipe: Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces dark rum
- 4 cups Hot Water or freshly brewed coffee
- Whipped cream
- 4 mugs
- 1 hand mixer
- 1 mixing bowl
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg together until smooth. Chill for 20-30 minutes or until firm.
- While waiting, boil the water or brew the coffee. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the spiced butter into a coffee mug. Pour 1 ounce rum over the butter and top with 1 cup of hot ware or coffee. Stir to combine.
- Repeat with the remaining butter, rum and coffee.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.