Red White and Blueberry Smoothie Popsicles
Sweet and healthy, Red White and Blueberry Smoothie Popsicles are made from simple, fresh ingredients for a sweet treat that won’t blow your diet. So easy to make and totally kid approved!
Just one more sleep until my weekend starts (I’m taking the day “off” Friday…as much as a person who works for themselves and is their only employee can). As soon as Landon steps off the bus we’ll be heading to the coast to soak up the little bits of sun we can (it’s supposed to rain), check out the National Kite Festival on the beach, eat tons of sugary sweets, ice cream, funnel cake and pizza….and just relax. Summer is starting and who else is ready???? I can’t wait to sit outside and smell the salt air, sipping my coffee outside while sun rises. And then toast myself on the beach. It’s going to be a great summer. And popsicles will be consumed….lots and lots of popsicles to beat the summer heat. These Red White and Blueberry Smoothie Popsicles are my new favorite.
Summers to me just aren’t complete without a freezer stash of popsicles. I remember summers when I was little where I’d spend HOURS wandering the woods behind our house, splashing in the creek and looking for tadpoles while clutching a freezer pop in my hand. I probably polished off about three popsicles a day, that was just about my only form of hydration during the warmer months. I’d come home with fruit stained lips….a combination of red, green or purple depending on the day.
These days, I prefer my popsicles to be a bit more natural….and sometimes with something a bit boozy mixed in like these Blueberry Mojito Popsicles or my favorite Strawberry Coconut Margarita Popsicles. Fruit based with minimal sweeteners or artificial flavor are my favorite way to go and with the holiday weekend looming….I thought I’d throw a festive spin on my new favorite pops! Red White and Blueberry Smoothie Popsicles are so fun for the summer and are perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day weekend! And they couldn’t be easier to make.
Strawberries are pureed until smooth with a touch of honey (you can skip it if your berries are sweet), then poured into a popsicle mold. The next layer is a blend of vanilla and lemon yogurt, simple….yes? The last layer is pureed blueberries…same process as the strawberries and that’s it! Freeze until firm then consume while searching for tadpoles, lost socks, fireflies…whatever it is you do during the summer. And if red, white and blue isn’t your thing…these Peach Smoothie Pops are fantastic!
Get the Recipe: Red White and Blueberry Smoothie Popsicles
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- In a blender, puree the strawberries until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon honey (optional) and blend for 20 seconds longer. Divide the strawberry puree evenly between 8 popsicle molds and freeze.
- Add the blueberries to the blender (clean it first, LOL!) and puree until smooth. Add the remaining honey and blend for 20 seconds. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla and lemon yogurt until smooth.
- Remove the popsicle mold from the freezer. Divide the yogurt mixture evenly between the 8 popsicle molds and tap on the counter gently to release any air bubbles.
- Top the yogurt with the blueberry puree dividing evenly among the popsicle molds and insert popsicle sticks into the center.
- Return the mold to the freezer and freeze until firm, approximately 4 hours.
- To release the popsicles, run the mold under hot water for 5-10 seconds until the popsicles can be pulled out of their reservoir. Transfer to a plastic bag and freeze until ready to serve.