Slow Cooker Split Pea with Ham Soup
Comfort food at it’s best, this healthy, veggie packed Split Pea with Ham Soup recipe is simmered all day in the slow cooker. A great dinner for a cold winter’s day and perfect for those of us trying to get a little healthy in the upcoming New Year.
It’s over. Christmas is over. I definitely have the post holiday blues, all the planning and decorating is irrelevant now. All the gifts have been given and unwrapped and played with or worn. It’s hard to believe how fast it went by. Now I’m trying to avoid the leftover cookies and gingerbread tiramisu that stares at me every time I open the refrigerator. And I, inevitably, grab a spoon (because they’re right.there.) and dig in for a quick taste before bed. Every.single.night. The madness has to end. Time for a healthy slow cooker recipe.
I made three hams in December in order to perfect my Riesling-Cranberry Glazed Spiral Ham for you all to enjoy. I hope you liked it…..because I have a lot of leftover ham. A ridiculous amount. It’s in the freezer waiting for a New Year’s miracle to arrive and throw it into some new recipe…..like this Slow Cooker Split Pea with Ham Soup. This soup is splendid. Mind-blowing. Knee-blucklingly tasty. My husband declared it’s the BEST Split Pea with Ham Soup he’s ever had.
I used the bone from my leftover ham…..which, in turn, was still covered in leftover ham. That’s a good thing….the ham got all melty and tender while it cooked in the slow cooker, falling off the bone and blending in with the peas in perfect soup harmony. Oh, and there’s wine in there too. 🙂 We can’t go all “clean eating” all the sudden…it would be a shock to our systems. We need to ease into the healthy New Year with a little Zum Riesling from ALDI. Just a bit, just to deglaze the pan and get all those golden bits to join the party. And it added just the right amount of sweet to off-set the salty.
I hope you all had a very Merry holiday whether it was Christmas, Hanakkah, or Kwanzaa or whatever you may celebrate during the month of December. If you ended up with the gift of tight pants, like me, than this soup is for you. I promise it doesn’t taste like cardboard or mush…..it’s simply divine. And you could even serve this with some crusty bread slathered with butter if you’re not quite ready to commit to the Victoria’s Secret Runway Model Diet of starvation. And a glass of wine. I’ll never give up my wine.
Slow Cooker Split Pea with Ham Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 vidalia onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Riesling or other dry white wine
- 1 ham bone or 1 1/2 cups small diced ham
- 12 ounces dried split peas
- 6-7 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over med-high heat and add the onions, cooking until softened. Add the carrots and celery. Continue to cook the vegetables until they just start to caramelize. Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the bay leaf, nutmeg and wine stirring with a wooden spoon and scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker and add the ham, peas and stock. Stir to combine and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt/pepper as needed. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 36 hours. The soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.