The Best Chicken Noodle Soup
Like a big, warm hug in a bowl, this is the Best Chicken Noodle Soup recipe ever. Easy to make and packed full of everything good for you…chicken, veggies, noodles…it’s the real deal comfort food.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
After a week of travel, I am starving and in need of some comfort food so it’s always great to know I have some of the Best Chicken Noodle Soup just waiting for me in the freezer when I get home. Sometimes, I just look forward to sitting on the couch binge watching my favorite shows with a bucket of buttery popcorn or chocolate chip cookies. Which is about the speed I’m moving right now.
It’s the ultimate in comfort foods…up there next to mac and cheese but I sometimes you need less carbs and more comfort.
Why this is the Best Chicken Noodle Soup
I know most of you know what Chicken Noodle Soup is and probably have some version of it stashed away in your recipe box. The rest of you….if you’re like me, you grew up on Campbell’s Chicken Noodles Soup. Either way, you probably agree with me that it’s the ultimate comfort food that won’t fill you out.
This Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is made with homemade chicken stock which really elevates the flavor something fierce. If you don’t have chicken stock from scratch, store bought works well for this recipe, too. Just be sure to use Chicken STOCK and not Chicken BROTH because stock has a richer, heartier flavor. It’s also a little healthier for you since it’s made with the bones of the chicken….it has more nutrients and vitamins.
This is really the Best Chicken Noodle Soup on the planet. I based the recipe on my classic Chicken Soup recipe but added some egg noodles to the mix because sometimes you just want carbs. Carbs release endorphins and make you happy…at least that’s the story I’m going with.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup really is super easy to make from scratch and you can totally make a big batch to stash in the freezer for chicken soup emergencies.
It comes together quickly, too, if you have leftover chicken to use up like I usually do from my Homemade Rotisserie Chicken.
- Start by sautéing your veggies until soft.
- Add your cooked chicken and pour in the stock.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the noodles and cook until al dente.
It’s ready in about 10-15 minutes total and freezes beautifully for quick weeknight dinners….if you don’t have the patience to wait 10-15 minutes for your homemade chicken noodle soup. 🙂
What To Serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
I like to serve my Chicken Soup with a hearty salad packed with fruit and nuts. A lighter green salad would be nice too but when you’ve been starving for two weeks straight…sometimes you need a little substance. Or just a big fudgie brownie.
Can you freeze Chicken Noodle Soup?
You can absolutely freeze chicken noodle soup with great results. You can either transfer to a heavy duty zip top bag and freeze flat or I like to use individual meal prep bowls that are freezer friendly to make it easy to just grab what I need. It makes a great lunch option for the office or a simple dinner.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Super easy Beef Cabbage Soup
- Vegetable Minestrone Soup is our new winter favorite
- The BEST EVER Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Easy Beef Vegetable Soup...another freezer favorite.
Get the Recipe: Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, small diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup shredded chicken breast
- 5 cups chicken stock, homemade or store bought
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup broad uncooked egg noodles
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 stock pot
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the carrots and celery and continue to cook until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the cooked chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock, herbs, salt and pepper and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and add the noodles Simmer for 10 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or transfer to airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.