The Very Best Chicken Noodle Soup
Like a big, warm hug in a bowl, this is the very Best Chicken Noodle Soup recipe ever. Easy to make and packed full of everything good for you…chicken, veggies, noodles…it’s the real deal comfort food.
Originally published October 2016 and updated December 2019.
I’ve been traveling around lately…like a lot. It’s been really hard to get back in the swing of things this week but I took some time to rest up and I THINK I’m ready to rock. Three cities in two weeks (not counting the one I live in, either!) and lots of information to take in…and I skipped around NYC with the best of the best from Better Homes and Gardens.
Life isn’t too shabby around here lately. But all of that being social does suck the life out of me…I love getting out and meeting people but I sometimes wish we could all just hang out on my sofa with fluffy socks, a big blanket and a bucket of buttery popcorn or chocolate chip cookies. Which is about the speed I’m moving right now.
On the last few days of my trip, I really was looking forward to coming home and hugging my family. Hanging out in my own house…with my own shower…my own shampoo and my “My Pillow.” (Boy, did I miss that thing!) And I was so hungry, like famished…like I lost 5 pounds in two weeks and I knew I had some of the Best Chicken Noodle Soup just waiting for me in the freezer when I got home.
It’s the ultimate in comfort foods…up there next to mac and cheese but I really liked leaving those 5 pounds back in New York so I chose the healthier of the two options.
THE BEST HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
I know most of you know what Chicken Noodle Soup is and probably have some version of it stashed away in your recipe box. The rest of you….if you’re like me, you grew up on Campbell’s Chicken Noodles Soup. Either way, you probably agree with me that it’s the ultimate comfort food that won’t fill you out.
This Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is made with homemade chicken stock which really elevates the flavor something fierce. If you don’t have chicken stock from scratch, store bought works well for this recipe, too. Just be sure to use Chicken STOCK and not Chicken BROTH because stock has a richer, heartier flavor. It’s also a little healthier for you since it’s made with the bones of the chicken….it has more nutrients and vitamins.
This is really the Best Chicken Noodle Soup on the planet. I based the recipe on my classic Chicken Soup recipe but added some egg noodles to the mix because sometimes you just want carbs. Carbs release endorphins and make you happy…at least that’s the story I’m going with.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup really is super easy to make from scratch and you can totally make a big batch to stash in the freezer for chicken soup emergencies.
It comes together quickly, too, if you have leftover chicken to use up like I usually do from my Homemade Rotisserie Chicken.
You start by sautéing your veggies until soft. Then, add your cooked chicken and pour in the stock.
Once it comes to a boil, add the noodles and cook until al dente. It’s ready in about 10-15 minutes total and freezes beautifully for quick weeknight dinners….if you don’t have the patience to wait 10-15 minutes for your homemade chicken noodle soup. 🙂
I like to serve the best Chicken Noodle Soup with a hearty salad packed with fruit and nuts. A lighter green salad would be nice too but when you’ve been starving for two weeks straight…sometimes you need a little substance. Or just a big fudgie brownie.
MORE EASY SOUP RECIPES
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Super easy Beef Cabbage Soup
- Vegetable Minestrone Soup is our new winter favorite
- The BEST EVER Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Easy Beef Vegetable Soup...another freezer favorite.
The Very Best Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion diced
- 2 large carrots small diced
- 1 large celery stalk diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cup shredded chicken breast
- 5 cups chicken stock homemade or store bought
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup broad uncooked egg noodles
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the carrots and celery and continue to cook until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the cooked chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock, herbs, salt and pepper and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and add the noodles Simmer for 10 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or transfer to airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.