Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
Made with whole ingredients, this Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup recipe is like a hug in a pot. Packed with garden fresh vegetables, chunks of tender beef and a savory broth, this easy to make Beef Vegetable Soup recipe is on the table in about 30 minutes. Slow simmered flavor without the commitment.
Here it is, friends……the very end of summer. Can you tell I’ve been sad about it the past few days? As I’m trying to hype up one of my favorite seasons (It’s fall, for those of you who are new here), I just can’t shake the fact that we were kind of short changed this year with the summer. We had a TON of rain which didn’t do my vegetable garden any favors because apparently, veggies CAN be overwatered. Green thumb I do not have, that’s for certain.
But that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy nature’s bounty from the farmers in our area in this easy to make Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup. I mean, come on…it’s fall soon and we all need that ONE go-to soup recipe that’s ready in a flash.
This easy Vegetable Beef Soup recipe is loaded with all my favorite things, including beef ribeye. Which sounds spendy….but it’s not when you get to cut it up into small bites to kind of stretch it out for the entire family.
How do you make Vegetable Beef Soup?
This quick and easy Vegetable Beef Soup is pretty simple to make. I adapted it from the very BEST Vegetable Soup which everyone seems to love.
- First, cut up your beef into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Add a bit of oil to a heavy bottom pot and add the beef to the hot oil. Brown the beef on all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pot. Saute until softened.
- Stir in the squash, garlic and green beans. Continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and beef stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the beef back to the pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Season to taste. Serve immediately
What is the best cut of meat for Vegetable Beef Soup?
This is a loaded question but for this Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup I used a ribeye steak cut into bite sized pieces. Because this soup only takes 30 minutes to make I wanted a tender cut of beef that wouldn’t become tough when simmered for a brief period of time.
Another option would be to use a beef tenderloin but it’s a little pricier and doesn’t have as much fat. Fat = flavor and that helps make this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe the best ever.
If you were to go low and slow making a Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup in your Crockpot then I would suggest using a chuck roast. The tougher cut of meat can withstand the longer cooking time. We will talk about this in greater detail later.
What vegetables can I put in Vegetable Beef Soup?
You can really put any vegetables you want in your Vegetable Beef Soup recipe….afterall, it IS your soup! I like to find vegetables that have BIG flavor but also contrasting flavors so that it doesn’t taste like one big pot of tomato soup or celery soup…know what I mean.
Here are some of the vegetables I love in my Vegetable Beef Soup:
- Delicata Squash
- Green Beans
- Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Butternut Squash
- Vidalia Onions
- Sweet Green Peas
AND, sometimes, I even like to bulk it up a bit by loading up my Vegetable Beef Soup with Cabbage. It’s a fantastic way to stretch this healthy dinner even further.
And if you’re looking for even more soup ideas for the cooler months ahead make sure you check out this Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup….it has bacon in it!
Or some of our other favorite soup recipes are this Creamy Chicken Soup with Mushrooms and Artichokes, this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup OR MY absolute favorite (and apparently the internet’s, too, since it went VIRAL) Italian Sausage Soup!
LOOKING FOR MORE MEAL INSPIRATION? FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE FAMILY FAVORITE DINNERS!
Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounce rib eye steak, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup diced delicata squash or other squash
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add the beef to the pot and brown on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Keep warm.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pot. Cook until softened, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the green beans and squash. Stir to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, parsley and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to low.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce and fish sauce. Add the beef back to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.