Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
It’s possible to have dinner on the table in under 10 minutes with this quick and easy Spaghetti Aglio e Olio. Pasta tossed with olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes and toasted garlic, finished with parsley and parmesan cheese. My favorite way to serve comfort in a bowl.
I have so many recipes to share with you….I sometimes don’t think I’m ever going to get through the list. Sometimes, I like to just get down to the basics…the things I would make for myself when I wanted something easy, comforting and familiar. I told you before how I’m not much of a fan of red sauce….I would rather dive into a bowl of pasta with butter and cheese than twirl saucy, red angel hair around my fork. It’s just my own way to lift myself up when I’m feeling blue….or especially hungry.
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio couldn’t be simpler to make. And it’s surprisingly flavorful. My husband had his doubts because he’s a big fan of red sauce like this Bolognese. But he has, since, been converted and now…I have to share. Which is fine because it’s so easy to make….and double or triple or quadruple the recipe. You can make the sauce while your pasta is cooking. Drizzle a good amount of olive oil in a pan, sprinkle with a generous amount of crushed red pepper and toast your garlic until lightly golden. At this point…I like to add a little nob of butter, just because I can. It’s not the Italian way….but it’s my way, and I like butter…so into the pan it goes. The whole thing takes about 4-5 minutes. Toss with your pasta….add a little pasta water if you like things saucy….serve with a generous sprinkle of chopped parsley and cheese.
In my opinion, Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is worthy of the finest dinner guests. They don’t need to know it only took you minutes to make. Serve with an amazing salad, some homemade bread and a chocolatey dessert…and your guests may never leave. And if you still have trouble convincing your red sauce lover into trying this crazy, amazing pasta dish….you can whip up this sauce just as quickly. But I really don’t think you’re going to have to go that far….I promise you that. I’ll be sharing a few quick dinner ideas in the coming weeks on YouTube…don’t forget to subscribe!
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- 1 pound box dried spaghetti
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 3 tablespoon kosher salt. Stir in the pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and garlic to the pan. Cook until the garlic begins to turn golden (do not overcook, the garlic will become bitter and nasty....if this happens, start over.) Turn off the heat and stir in the butter.
- Drain the pasta and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the skillet and toss to coat. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir in the cooking water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat to low and add the salt. Cook until the mixture is reduced by 1/2. Turn off the heat. Toss the pasta with the parsley and cheese. Serve immediately.