Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms // Video
Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are filled with a creamy, cheesy blend of spicy Italian sausage, cherry peppers and cream cheese then baked until they become a melted dream come true. The best appetizer at any holiday party or tailgate. Beware…they will go fast!
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
I found a recipe many years ago on Epicurious.com for an easy Sausage Stuffed Mushroom recipe. It was my go-to appetizer for any party where I wanted to impress the hosts…and guests for that matter. If my husband hadn’t already put a ring on it….this recipe would surely have clinched it. It’s better than “Engagement Chicken”.
Little bites of heaven, these sausage and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms are super simple to make with just a few ingredients. I love the portability for taking them to parties and potlucks. The blend of spicy sausage, cream cheese and peppers just makes the flavor out of this world with just a hint of heat that won’t blow your socks off.
How do you make stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese and sausage?
This easy Sausage Stuffed Mushroom recipe is so simple to make and doesn’t take long to come together. I added sweet and spicy red peppers, as well as, the juice from the jar. (A nifty little trick of mine from my chili recipes.) I also throw in more parmesan cheese and freshly chopped garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink. Add the oregano, garlic and peppers.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Pour off the grease and return the sausage mixture to the pan.
- Stir in the pepper juice, worcestershire, parmesan, cream cheese, parsley, salt and pepper until combined.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly while you prep the mushrooms.
- Fill each mushroom with 1 tablespoon sausage mixture and place in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake the mushrooms until tender and the filling is golden brown on top.
How do you cook raw sausage stuffed mushrooms?
The total cooking time for this stuffed mushroom recipe is approximately 45 minutes. That time includes the cooking time to brown the sausage, as well as, the baking time for cooking the stuffed mushrooms to completion.
Can Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms be made ahead?
To make the Pork Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms in advance:
- Make the filling and prepare the mushrooms
- Assemble and store in airtight containers in the refrigerator up to 24 hours before serving time.
- Bake prior to serving.
- Bonus: I’ve baked them at home and reheated them with success so you can do that if you’re in a time crunch.
How to Wash Mushrooms
Mushrooms do arrive with a bit of dirt on them and you definitely do not want to submerge them in water or run them over a faucet. They’re like a sponge and will absorb lots of water so the best way to clean up your mushrooms is to wipe them gently with a damp towel.
Variations on Stuffed Mushrooms
We love to try different recipes with stuffed mushrooms. Some of our favorite fillings are:
- goat cheese
- pizza toppings
- buffalo chicken
These sausage stuffed mushrooms are similar to the ones Ina Garten makes and are giant bites of sweet, cheesy goodness that are very rich so you only need like one or three. Or four. But I think I stopped at four. Wait…how many are in the photos? I think I ate all of them.
Can Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms be reheated?
You can reheat your sausage stuffed mushrooms either in the oven at 350 degrees or in the microwave. Once reheated, the mushrooms will need to be consumed the same day.
More Easy Appetizer Ideas
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms.…for your seafood loving friends.
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings….like your favorite bar’s wings…but healthier.
- Sweet and Spicy Candied Bacon…..this is the most amazing appetizer ever.
- The VERY BEST Hot Crab Dip
- Super easy Roasted Garlic Shrimp Cocktail
Want even more easy recipes? Be sure to follow us over on Instagram for tasty, daily food photos and behind the scenes chaos!
Adapted from Bon Appetit November 2002
Get the Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 3 hot italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces Spicy Sweet Red Peppers and 4 ounces of juice from the jar, I used Delallo
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 large mushrooms, stemmed and gills removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, saute the sausage over med-high heat until cooked through, breaking into small pieces with a fork. Add the oregano, garlic and red peppers continuing to cook for another minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Pour off and discard the fat. Return the sausage mixture to the warm pan with the heat off and add the red pepper juice, Worcestershire sauce, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray and brush the inside of each mushroom with olive oil. Fill each mushroom with approximately 1 tablespoon of the filling and arrange the mushrooms, filling side up, in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered until mushrooms are tender and the filling is brown on top. Approximately 25 minutes.
26 Comments on “Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms // Video”
I am a huge sausage fan. What a perfect filling for a mushroom. I’ll take a dozen.
I think I could eat an entire plate of those. Perfect appetizer for a Christmas dinner. Delicious!
I agree! Thanks, Ali!
Oh yum! These look like they would make a wonderful appetizer!
They do! Thanks, Marye!
Um. Yes! Now! I could (and probably would) have to double this recipe, as I’d eat the first batch by myself. On my to do list, but as a main dish using Portobellos.
That would be a fabulous idea!
These looks fabulous. I love your use of cherry peppers here.
Thank you so much! That’s my favorite part!
I love stuffed mushrooms! These sweet and spicy sausage ones you’ve made a loaded with delicious flavor! Perfect appetizer!
I bet those flavors go great together! Love the idea of putting them in mushrooms!
So, so amazing! Thank you, Julia!
Spicy sausage and cheese—I can’t think of a better filling for stuffed mushrooms!!!
Mmmm.. These look divine! I bet these don’t last long.
They do not! 🙂
I love these sausage stuffed mushrooms!! Thanks for sharing!!!
So perfect for parties!
Would this be good in anything other than mushrooms?
That’s a great question! I need to think about that for a bit. 🙂
Stuffed mushrooms are one of my favorite things to eat!
These would be perfect for any occasion!
They totally are!
Stuffed mushrooms are the best!
They really are!
I love stuffed __ recipes! This is such a wonderful, well put together dish. Thank you for this!