The Best Turkey Burger
Yes, this is the very BEST Turkey Burger! Ground turkey is all dressed up with grated onions, Worcestershire sauce, a medley of bold seasonings and my own little secret ingredient that really sends them over the top. They’re so tender, juicy, and perfect for biting in to with all of your favorite toppings between two buns!
The Best Turkey Burger
Summer’s basically here! While I’m still trying to wrap my mind around that fact, I’m preparing all of my favorite burger recipes for the upcoming cookouts, backyard barbecues, pool parties… You know, all that jazz. I have about 1 million burger recipes that I’m head over heels in love with, and this turkey burger is certainly one of them! It’s seriously the best.
There’s a secret ingredient in the mix here that really makes these burgers as amazing as they are. It’s apple butter! I know it sounds pretty crazy, but stay with me here.
Apple butter (which can also be swapped with applesauce) lends the perfect amount of moisture that keeps the burgers nice and juicy. Ground turkey has a tendency to dry out, but not with this easy foolproof recipe.
A great reason most people whip up turkey burgers instead of your typical beef burger is for health reasons. Ground turkey contains less saturated fat then ground beef and has fewer calories, which is fabulous if you’re looking for that kind of protein! Even if you’re not too concerned about fat and calories, you’ll still be happy making these burgers for their texture and flavor!
How to Make the Best Turkey Burger
This quick and easy recipe always delivers the best results! Grab your buns and all the toppings your heart desires and let’s get to cooking this stovetop burger recipe.
- Make the burger mixture. Combine all of the ingredients for the burger patties in a large bowl. You can use your hands or a pastry blender to get this done! Be sure to mix everything well until combined, but not too much.
- Shape the patties. Shape the mixture into 4 patties that are each about 1 inch thick. Use your thumb to press down gently in the center of each patty.
- Cook the burgers. Heat butter in a skillet. Cook the burgers for 5 minutes per side.
Tips for the Best Turkey Burgers
Here are just a few easy tips and tricks to help you achieve the very best turkey burgers every time:
- Don’t skip out on the apple butter. It really does add just the right touch of moisture to the turkey patties! You can use a store-bought jar or make your very own apple butter in the Crockpot. If you’re opposed to apple butter, you can easily swap it with some applesauce for the same effect.
- Check the temperature. If you’re nervous about cooking your turkey burgers, don’t be! Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Insert the meat thermometer into the turkey burger and check the temp – once it reaches 165°F, the turkey is fully cooked and safe to eat.
- Grate the onions. Don’t chop them! You want the onions to be present, but not so much that they’re big pieces falling out of the meat. Use the smaller side of a cheese grater to grate the onions into a small consistency.
- Sweet Condiments. We love ketchup on our burgers but have you ever tried fig jam? This turkey burger is amazing with a sweet component like fig jam, tomato jam or apple butter!
How long will turkey burgers stay fresh?
Once the cooked patties cool all the way to room temperature, transfer them into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for about 3-4 days. While you can reheat them in the microwave, I recommend popping them back in the skillet over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Enjoy more of my favorite burger recipes this summer!
For more easy summer recipes, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: The Best Turkey Burger Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 sweet onion, grated (you should have about 2 tablespoons grated onion)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple butter, or apple sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 4 slices Munster or American cheese, optional
- 4 hamburger buns
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced onion
- 1 nonstick skillet
- In a large bowl, add the turkey, onion, Worcestershire sauce, apple butter, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Using clean hands or a pastry blender, mix together until well combined but not over mixed.
- Shape the turkey into four patties about 1 inch thick. Using your thumb press down gently in the center to create a small well.
- Heat the butter in a nonstick skillet and cook the burgers for five minutes on each side. (If adding cheese, top each burger with a slice or two during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Cover and continue cooking until done.)
- Allow the burgers to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, top the bottom half of a bun with one turkey burger. Layer with your favorite toppings and place the top half of the bun on top.
2 Comments on “The Best Turkey Burger”
I wish your Facebook page was around when I was raising my four kids. Still a wealth of great recipes I can scale down or use for family gatherings. The Turkey burger nutritional info shows 400 calories per serving. Does that include the buns and toppings?
It includes the bun but not the lettuce, tomato or onion.