Sweet and tangy, this easy to make Crock Pot Applesauce recipe is better than anything you’d buy in a jar. Made with fresh apples, cider, spices and brown sugar….it’s a fall and winter staple in our house.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Home cooking is one of my favorite things, making everything from scratch…even the condiments and sauces that accompany a meal. But time is precious and you can’t always make homemade ketchup or garlic aioli on a whim.
Enlisting a small countertop appliance, like your crockpot or slow cooker, can make things a little easier. Like an electric sous chef, in a way, you can make so many homemade sauces but I still don’t because it’s just faster and simpler to buy them.
But the one thing I do make from scratch is Homemade Applesauce because it’s not even really cooking….especially when you make it in the Crock Pot!
What is Applesauce
When most people think of applesauce, they envision jars of anemic looking puree fit for an infant to eat. Most often it’s pretty bland and only good for the days when you’re not feeling the best.
Making your own homemade applesauce is super simple and so much more flavorful even beckoning you to add your favorite twists to the recipe.
This easy applesauce recipe is chunky, slightly spiced with cinnamon and totally super easy to make.
It’s the perfect thing to whip up when you end up with a ton of apples….like when you go apple picking and don’t have the heart to tell the kids to stop picking apples because the other option is to go home and listen to them play Minecraft for 47,000 more hours.
How To Make Crockpot Applesauce
This easy CrockPot Applesauce Recipe couldn’t be simpler to make. Most of the work is spend peeling and chopping apples but since they’re going to cook down significantly, they don’t have to be perfect and you can even leave a bit of the peel on the apple.
- Add all the ingredients to the bottom of your slow cooker and stir to coat.
- Cook the apples in the slow cooker until the apples are softened and then mash them up with a potato masher.
- You can make your applesauce chunky or puree it with an immersion blender. EASY PEASY!
If you have an apple slicer you are very fancy and can whip up this Slow Cooker Applesauce recipe in no time. I don’t own one and it would, literally, have shaved tons of time off the prep work.
But if you don’t have one it still doesn’t take that long to peel and slice the apples….plus, I find it kind of relaxing. Yeah…no I don’t. Buy an apple slicer, don’t be cheap like me.
We love this programmable slow cooker with auto warm setting by CrockPot! It’s a great way to make dinners easy and keep them warm until you’re ready to eat. We pull this one out at least once a week and the price can’t be beat!
Best Apples for Applesauce
As far as applesauce goes, all apples are fair game! You can use all of one variety of apple or a medley….personally, I love to use HoneyCrisp for their sweet tartness but Gala, Pink Lady, Empires and Cortlands are fabulous, too. If you really like a bright and fresh flavor, throw in a couple Granny Smith apples and it’s like a party in your mouth.
Ingredients You Will Need for Applesauce
The ingredients for CrockPot Applesauce are pretty simple to start. You can add whatever spices you like but I’m totally partial to fall flavors like nutmeg and cinnamon. You, also, can make a sugar-free applesauce because you don’t necessarily need to add sugar for the recipe to be successful. And if you have a sweeter variety of apple you can substitute the sugar with either less of it, no sugar at all or a bit of honey.
Here’s what you need:
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider
Additional Spices for Applesauce
While I really love Cinnamon and Nutmeg in my slow cooker apple sauce recipe, you can add any of these for a fun twist on a traditional.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Mace (yes, MACE!)
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Cloves
- Chai Spice Mix Recipe
Feel free to get creative and wild in the kitchen if you want!
How Long Does Applesauce Last
You can store your Crock Pot Applesauce in the refrigerator for up to 10 days in an airtight container. OR you can FREEZE your applesauce in a freezer safe container for up to three months. Great for stocking up for the winter or if you’re having a baby soon….this is a great homemade baby food recipe! My little guy loved it.
What To Serve With Applesauce
- Slow Cooker Oatmeal…so good stirred right in!
- Pork Chops...Peter Brady’s fave!
- Easy Rotisserie Chicken
- Oven Baked Chicken Breast
More Easy Apple Recipes
- Easy Apple Fritters
- Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria
- Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
- Easy Apple Dumplings
- Homemade Candy Apples
- Fried apples
Get the Recipe: CrockPot Applesauce Recipe
- 8-10 large apples
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 slow cooker
- Peel the apples and cut into 8 wedges. (or use the very handy apple slicer!)
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to coat the apples thoroughly. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 5 hours or until the apples are soft.
- When the apples have cooked, remove the lid and mash with a potato masher or fork until all the large chunks are broken up. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender if you like your applesauce pureed.
- Transfer the applesauce to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- The applesauce can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months.