Chicken Enchilada Casserole
If you’re looking for a comfort meal that’ll really hit the spot, this Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the dinner recipe for you! Every bite of this baked casserole is filed with tender chicken, enchilada sauce, tortillas and the most mouthwatering cheesy mixture. It’s an easy weeknight dinner that’s equal parts filling and flavorful!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Next time you need a dinner on the table that’s warm, comforting, and flavorful as can be, this is the recipe to turn to! Chicken Enchilada Casserole is probably one of my all-time favorite casseroles to bake in the chillier fall and winter months. The indulgent layers of cheesy goodness, soft tortillas, bold enchilada sauce and tender pulled chicken is just too satisfying to pass on.
This is one of those hearty dinners that will fill every belly. Trust me, no one’s leaving the dinner table still hungry! With that being said though, this cheesy chicken dinner is so good that you may just be tempted to go back for a second serving despite how filling it is. We’ve all been there before! If you really want to make it irresistible, top it off with things like fresh tomatoes and cilantro.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a kid-friendly entree. Don’t worry, you won’t find much spice here! There are plenty of flavorful ingredients like chili powder and diced green chilies that may seem like they lend a lot of heat, but they’re pretty tame in this cheesy mix of chicken and tortillas. However, you can always increase the heat with this easy dinner by serving it with some jalapeños and hot sauce!
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This easy chicken casserole dinner is ready in no time!
- Sauté the chicken. Start by sautéing the onions and garlic. Then, toss in the shredded chicken, green chilies, seasonings, and lime juice. Stir well and cook for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix the cheeses. As the chicken is cooling down, mix together all of the cheeses in a bowl.
- Assemble the casserole. Spread enchilada sauce in the bottom of your baking dish. Add a layer of tortillas, then top it with enchilada sauce, half of the chicken mixture, and some of the cheese mixture. Add more tortillas, another layer of enchilada sauce, the remaining chicken, and more cheese. Repeat until all of the layers are finished.
- Bake. Bake the casserole at 375°F for about 30-40 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes to brown the cheesy topping.
If you’re looking for something for your beef eaters, these Beef Enchiladas are just as simple to make!
Can I use flour tortillas for Enchilada Casserole?
I only recommend using corn tortillas. In traditional Mexican cuisine, only corn tortillas are used to make enchiladas, so I like to keep things close to that authenticity by using corn tortillas in this inspired casserole. Also, the flavor of corn tortillas is so much tastier with the enchilada sauce than flour tortillas would be.
What should I garnish the Chicken Enchilada Casserole with?
There are so many delicious options! Some of my favorite garnishes for this cheesy casserole include:
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Fresh tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Jalapeños (fresh or picked)
- The Best Guacamole Recipe
How long will Chicken Enchilada Casserole stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, this casserole will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. The best part? It reheats like a dream in the microwave! Enjoy your leftover casserole for lunch or dinner by reheating it in the microwave in 30 second intervals until warmed all the way through.
I recommend only garnishing each serving by itself, that way they stay fresh. Reheated pico de gallo or cilantro isn’t too tasty.
Craving more casseroles? You’ve come to the right place!
- Easy Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Divan Casserole
Get the Recipe: Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 1- pound Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- ½ teaspoon kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Juice from 1 small lime, fresh squeezed
- 18 white Corn tortillas
- 1 28 ounce can of Green or Red Enchilada sauce (store bought), divided
- 1 8 ounce block Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 8 ounce block Mild or Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Salsa, Sour Cream, or Guacamole.
- 1 baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, oil and add the chopped onion and cook until the onions have softened then add the garlic, cook for about 1 minute.
- Add pulled chicken, the can of green chilis, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and the juice from 1/2 of the lime. Stir well to combine, cook for about 4 minutes and remove the pan from the heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a small bowl mix the cheeses together and set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce, about 8 oz in the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish, enough to fully coat the bottom.
- Place 6 tortillas in the baking dish on the enchilada sauce and top it with ½ of the chicken mixture and 8 oz of cheese mixture.
- Place 6 tortillas on the chicken and pour 8oz of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas
- Top with remaining chicken mixture and 8oz of the cheese mixture.
- Place the remaining tortillas on the chicken and pour the remaining enchilada sauce on the tortillas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas, covered, for 30 – 40 minutes. Uncover, then bake an additional 10 minutes longer to brown the cheese. Remove from the oven garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings, including sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, chopped jalapeno.