The Very Best Pound Cake Recipe
Simple and buttery, this recipe for the very BEST Pound Cake is a classic with a twist. Pantry staples are blended together then baked into a tender, moist cake that will be a family favorite for years to come. Light lemon flavor gives it the edge that makes it the very best.
I was never really a HUGE Pound Cake fan except for one local version from a place called Stock’s…..Stock’s Pound Cake is like a local legend around the Philadelphia area. The problem is…I don’t really know where “Stock’s” is and when you come across it at an Italian deli or a small food market, it’s been there for a little while.
And though it still tastes great…it’s not always fabulous because contrary to what most people around here think….it still has a short shelf life. And the fresher your pound cake is the better. And I’m not comparing the very BEST Pound Cake recipe to Stock’s in any way because it’s not the same at all. Stock’s has a thick layer of frosting on top and is a little more dense, almost smooth or velvety in texture.
But if you want a fresh pound cake in about an hour without leaving your house….this recipe is for you.
OLD FASHIONED POUND CAKE
We love a good classic here and this easy pound cake is spot on. Pound Cake is a buttery cake made with a pound of each of four ingredients; butter, sugar, flour and eggs.
They’re traditionally baked in a loaf pan or bundt pan then topped with powdered sugar, glazed or frosted with a thick layer of icing like a Stock’s pound cake.
You can add a variety of flavorings to your pound cake like we did with the lemon here…..so, it’s more of a lemon pound cake without being overly tart with lemon.
HOW TO MAKE IT FROM SCRATCH
Pound cake is super simple to make from scratch and you only need four ingredients. The idea is that each ingredient is 1 pound but I included measurements for those of you that don’t have a kitchen scale.
Here’s how to make it:
Beat the butter until fluffy.
Add the sugar and cream together until light.
Stir in the eggs, vanilla and lemon.
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until combined.
Pour the batter into a prepared pan.
Bake at 350˚F for one hour.
Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to continue cooling to room temperature.
Dust with powdered sugar.
Now that you have the base of your cake, you can start to get creative and mix in your favorite additions.
Some of our favorite things to add to pound cake are:
- Fresh blueberries, they pop in the batter and go so well with the lemon.
- Chocolate chips, naturally.
- Swap out the lemon zest for key lime zest and some tropical flair.
- Chopped peaches give it a summery vibe.
- Shredded coconut is never a mistake.
- Be sure to beat your butter and sugar until light and fluffy so your cake is exactly that. Light and fluffy.
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature before beginning so they blend well together without any lumps.
- Make sure each egg is mixed in before adding the next.
- Don’t make any substitutions to the recipe and expect it to turn out perfectly. (Yeah, I said it.)
Made with pantry staples, this recipe starts with butter, sugar, flour, vanilla, eggs….the usual. But I also like to add a sprinkle of fresh lemon zest to add a bit of brightness to the buttery batter. It’s simply fantastic and everyone who takes a bite can’t figure out why it tastes a bit lighter than regular pound cake. It’s not overly lemon-y but will make you want to keep coming back for another slice. And as much as I wanted to add a layer of frosting….I refrained because why mess with perfection. Right?
This easy Pound Cake recipe makes a great gift for the holidays along with jar of this easy Fig Jam for spreading on a warm slice and it’s the perfect base for so many dessert recipes like these easy Caramel Pear Pound Cake Trifles.
MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES
If you like this cake, you will also love this super simple Pineapple Sunshine Cake….it’s like a bit of summer, well, sunshine. And be sure to try this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread or our favorite Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
The Very Best Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the sugar to the butter. Beat until fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the bowl one at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add the lemon zest and vanilla mixing on medium speed for 30 seconds longer to combine.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to the mixer on low speed. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl and then continue beating on low for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the batter to a 1-quart loaf pan coated with cooking spray or lightly greased with butter.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, run a knife around the inside of the loaf pan to loosen the cake and turn out onto a platter to release.
- Serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.