Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
The BEST of the banana bread recipes, this easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is tender and moist studded with chocolate chips that melt right into the batter. One of our favorite ways to use up overripe bananas and will soon be your’s, too.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Another day, another banana bread recipe but this is not your ordinary banana bread. No, this is one of my family’s FAVORITES and it’s studded with three different kinds of chocolate chips.
As you can see, I still have the problem of buying too many bananas before we can eat all of them but, seriously, is it really a problem when what comes of them is an easy moist banana bread recipe. Right? And maybe, just maybe….my subconscious self is actually buying too MANY bananas because it actually craves homemade banana bread.
OR, the Instacart dude didn’t do a great job selecting the slightly green bananas I had requested in my order. Whatever the case, we had a big ole pile of brown speckled bananas again and I did what any normal person would do…..create, yet another, banana bread recipe.
This Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is derived from my original banana bread recipe that is just as basic as the basic white girl sitting on the stool at Starbucks…wearing her summer mules and scrolling through Instagram. But basic is good….because it’s classic, predictable and reliable. Tried and True.
I love recipes that are totally reliable but customizable so you can toss in your favorite add-ins or flavorings without really changing the composition of the recipe causing it to fail. This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe is just that….a basic with a little twist….the twist being milk chocolate, dark chocolate AND semi-sweet chocolate chips folded into the batter.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This easy Banana Bread recipe is fairly simple to whip up. And most of the work is done in one bowl.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the sugar and butter beating at medium speed until fluffy.
Add the banana, milk, greek yogurt and eggs mixing until combined.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat just until blended.
Fold in the 3/4 of the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
How do you keep chocolate chips from sinking in banana bread?
So, this banana bread batter is pretty thick and I haven’t had too much issue with the chocolate chips sinking to the bottom while baking. HOWEVER, if you prefer to err on the side of caution, you can toss the chocolate chips in the flour mixture before adding the flour to the wet ingredients.
By coating the chocolate chips in flour before adding to the batter, it will help keep the chocolate chips suspended in the batter instead of sinking during baking when the batter thins out just a bit before rising.
How to Keep Banana Bread Moist
First, start with very ripe bananas. I like to use bananas that are almost completely brown and bordering on black for the ultimate moist banana bread.
Underripe bananas can suck the moisture out of the other ingredients leaving you with dry, crumbly banana bread. The Greek Yogurt also adds some moisture to your banana bread with a bit of tanginess, too.
We always have a stash of frozen bananas that were on the edge and I didn’t have time to bake bread. This fool-proof method ensures you’ll always have frozen bananas for smoothies, breads and muffins.
If you don’t want to use greek yogurt or are not a fan, you can make this Banana Bread with sour cream instead. It works just as perfectly!
How long does Banana Bread last?
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe will last up to two days wrapped tightly and stored at room temperature.
If you wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator, your banana bread will last up to one week.
You can freeze banana bread for up to 3 months wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. Thaw at room temperature when ready to enjoy.
More Easy Banana Bread Recipes
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- Blueberry Banana Bread with Cinnamon Streusel
- Chocolate Chip Ricotta Banana Bread Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Pina Colada Banana Bread with Coconut Glaze
- White Chocolate Macadamia Banana Bread
- Banana Bread with Chocolate Glaze
Get the Recipe: Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana, about 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt, I used Chobani
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour, I used King Arthur
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter beating at medium speed until fluffy. On low-speed, add the banana, milk, greek yogurt and eggs mixing until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Keeping the mixer on low-speed and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat just until blended.
- Fold in 3/4 of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool on rack.