Pineapple Sunshine Cake
Light and fluffy, fruit filled Pineapple Sunshine Cake is easy to make with a box of cake mix, canned pineapple and instant pudding. Topped with a fluffy whipped cream frosting, this simple dessert tastes anything but simple.
Summer may be winding down but that doesn’t mean we have to toss all the tastiness of summer aside. I love fresh, juicy pineapple in all the things all year long.
Especially in the winter months, a bite of pineapple or a sip of a Pina Colada, can definitely dampen the winter doldrums. This easy Pineapple Sunshine Cake is one of those desserts that can turn a gray day into a ray of summer sunlight.
Bonus points for it being the easiest cake to make that looks seriously impressive with a sky high fluffy whipped cream frosting that’s, also, spiked with crushed pineapple.
PINEAPPLE SUNSHINE CAKE
Also known as Pineapple Pudding Cake, this southern dessert is packed with so much flavor it should be called Pineapple Overload Cake!
Basically, it’s a pineapple sheet cake that’s made with cake mix, canned pineapple and instant pudding for the frosting. It couldn’t be simpler to make and you can easily modify the recipe to make it coconut-ty like a Pina Colada sheet cake.
Unlike my Pineapple Upside Down Cake, this pineapple dessert is topped with a fluffy, light whipped cream frosting that can be made with Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream.
How To Make It
Pineapple Sunshine Cake is super simple to make and the batter comes together in minutes thanks to boxed cake mix.
Combine the cake mix, pineapple, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
Pour the cake batter into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Bake the cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Make the frosting by folding the whipped cream, pudding mix and pineapple together.
Cool the cake completely.
Top with the frosting.
Decorate with pineapple rings and cherries, if desired.
This cake is very similar to the southern classic Pig Pickin’ Cake but it doesn’t have mandarin oranges in this recipe.
How to Store It
You’ll want to store your Pineapple Sunshine Cake in the refrigerator until serving.
Leftovers will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing this cake as the topping will not thaw well.
More Easy Pineapple Recipes
We always have leftover pineapple lying around the kitchen so this Pineapple Cake is the perfect way to use it all up.
If you’re looking for more pineapple recipes, we love this Baked Pineapple…it’s so great with ham for easter or during the holidays.
Grilled Teriyaki Lettuce Wraps are fantastic with pineapple and we also like making this super simple Pineapple Salsa. Or bake up this easy Carrot Cake recipe!
Love this cake recipe? You should also try this amazing Root Beer Float Poke Cake or this Blueberry Dump Cake (SOOO EASY).
We also love this New York Style Cheesecake….it’s so creamy and insanely delicious!
For more easy dessert recipes, follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
Get the Recipe: Pineapple Sunshine Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 8 ounce cans crushed pineapple, one can drained and juice discarded.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 15 ounce can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 3.5 ounce pack instant vanilla pudding mix
- 16 ounces whipped cream or frozen whipped topping, thawed
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Coat a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, canned crushed pineapple with the juice of ONE can, eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla and with a hand-held electric mixer until well combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the baking dish set on a cooling rack until room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, beat the crushed pineapple and pudding mix until the pineapple until combined. Allow the mixture to sit for 2 minutes
- Fold in the whipped cream until evenly combined and fluffy.
- Spread the whipped cream evenly over top of the cake and garnish with pineapple rings and cherries, if desired.