The easiest and most flavorful weeknight dinner ever, this Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Spinach is on the table in less than 30 minutes using a few pantry staples. Healthy and hearty, this one is on regular rotation at my house.
Happy Friday, everyone! I hope you all had a great week and are ready for the weekend. To be honest, this week just flew on by…like at warp speed. I could barely keep up, which is odd because I was home working every single day. I made another video for you all that will be up next week…I bet you won’t be able to sleep for days now just waiting for it’s premier. 🙂 In the meantime, let’s make some soup.
Back in the day…I used to relax with a cooking magazine and a glass of wine almost every single night. I like to eat and I despise eating the same thing all the time. So, when people talk about their dinner rotations I often wonder…does your rotation include five meal ideas or 20? Because if it’s five….don’t you get bored eating the same thing all the time? Does your family revolt at any point and demand a bowl of Lucky Charms? Do they chase after you with torches and pitchforks at the lack of creativity? Well, my family probably would do all three so I like to mix it up a bit….that’s where things like Cooking Light and the now defunct Gourmet magazine came in handy. I would leaf through and dog-ear pages of recipes like this skillet chicken that’s pretty amazing or these slow cooker short ribs. One of those recipes was for an Italian Sausage Soup from Cooking Light. It was definitely a dinner that was on a bi-weekly rotation because it was so quick and easy to make.
Through the years, I changed it up slightly but the base of it remained the same…mild Italian sausage, chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes…then you could basically add whatever you wanted to mix it up a bit. My favorite rendition is this one with white beans and spinach. The beans add extra fiber and a heartiness that helps fill you up. And we always have the ingredients on hand for quick soup emergencies….we have a lot of those in the winter months. The smell of this Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Spinach is absolutely heavenly….your family will think you’ve been slaving all day in the kitchen. Even if you were at the office all day playing Candy Crush on your phone.
Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Spinach
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning Blend (I use Spice Islands)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup small cut pasta (I use DeLallo Ditallini)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Place a large pot or dutch oven over med-high heat and add the sausage, breaking it up in to small pieces with a fork as it browns. Continue cooking until the sausage is no longer pink. Transfer the sausage to a bowl with a slotted spoon and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, cooking for one minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning and 1/4 cup of chicken stock to deglaze the pan being sure to scrape up any brown bits with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, sausage and remaining stock. Add the pasta and bring the soup to a boil. Cook for 6-7 minute or until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the spinach. Serve immediately topped with parmesan cheese.