Vegetable Minestrone Soup Recipe
This incredibly easy Minestrone Soup is the ultimate healthy comfort food. Hearty and filling, this easy Italian soup comes together quickly with simple ingredients you can keep stocked in the kitchen. On the table in about 30 minutes, a one pot meal that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
We’re gearing up for a double dose of wintry weather this weekend and I couldn’t be happier! The only thing good about the winter is snow….for a minute. And then I’m ready for spring. But if it’s going to be cold, we might as well enjoy some beautiful scenery on the way to the office or from our bedroom window or the couch….right? Plus, it gives us an excuse to stand over the stove for a short bit and make some hearty comfort food like this Vegetable Minestrone Soup recipe.
I’m not a big vegetable soup fan so I like to make my own at home….just so I can customize it to my liking. I don’t know what it is about vegetable soup but sometimes it tastes a bit bitter and the veggies just get all soggy. To me, that’s just no good.
I, almost, NEVER order any type of vegetable soup when I’m out at a restaurant but my husband does and then I get to taste it. That’s how I came to love the Olive Garden Minestrone Soup….because THAT would never be ANYTHING I would have ordered on my own. I’m not usually a fan of the veggies.
This is, seriously, the BEST Minestrone Soup recipe….I took some of the things I loved about the Olive Garden Minestrone Soup and then added a few things of my own based off my favorite vegetable soup recipe I made a couple years back. The rich, tangy tomato base balanced with a hint of sweetness from the sautéed onions and then loaded with veggies, beans and a little pasta. It’s simple and divine. Filling and hearty. Healthy and satisfying.
Vegetable Minestrone Soup
Traditional Minestrone Soup is a thick, tomato based soup that originated in Italy. It’s loaded with common vegetables like carrots, celery, onions and beans but really can contain any vegetables that you have on hand. I like to use in season vegetables since they’re easy to find.
The addition of pasta or rice is also common in this hearty minestrone soup. I like to use tiny Ditalini pasta in my soup recipes because they tend to soak up less of the broth. Larger, more broad pasta would definitely suck up more of the stock and would require you to add more to get more of a soupy consistency.
Ingredients You Will Need
This easy Minestrone Soup recipe uses easy to find ingredients including in season vegetables. Most of the ingredients are pantry staples like beans and beef stock. To make this a vegetarian or vegan Minestrone Soup, simply swap out the beef stock for vegetable stock.
- tomato paste
- diced tomatoes
- beef stock
- green beans
- kidney beans
- cannellini beans
- Italian Seasoning
- balsamic vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
It may seem like a lot of ingredients at a glance but I assure you, this simple minestrone recipe comes together in no time flat. AND it’s a one pot dinner the whole family will LOVE!
Is Minestrone Healthy
While not all minestrone soup is healthy, this Vegetable Minestrone Soup is actually filled with fiber and flavor! Low in fat AND calories, this nutrient dense Minestrone Soup is one of my favorite healthy dinners.
If you want to slash even more calories from this easy soup recipe, simply use half the oil and butter called for in the recipe or skip the addition of pasta to the soup. By omitting one or BOTH of those steps, you are lowering the calories, fat and carbohydrates found in the original version of the recipe.
This easy Minestrone Soup is great for a healthy diet because it will fill you up without filling you out. The fiber from the vegetables and beans make you feel full longer than a clear, broth based soup without any veggies or beans. This is one that you can add to your weekly menu without feeling even the teensiest bit of guilt.
And then you have more room for cake. 🙂
What To Serve With It
Since I like to make my Minestrone Soup my main course (it’s that filling and hearty you won’t need anything else), I like to serve it alongside something on the lighter side. These are my favorite things to serve with Minestrone Soup:
- For added protein…..Oven Baked Chicken Breast, so easy!
- Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Fries
- Cheesy Cauliflower Bread Sticks
- Super easy Brioche Dinner Rolls….for dipping, obvs.
More Family Friendly Soup Recipes
- The very BEST Vegetable Soup recipe….no kidding!
- Stuffed Cabbage Soup…..so insanely easy!
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Chicken Artichoke and Mushroom Soup is always a hit
- Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Spinach
- 10 MINUTE Easy Escarole Soup!
OR, if you want something even more hearty….we love this easy Pasta e Fagioli!
Get the Recipe: Vegetable Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 14.5 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, or other small cut pasta
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and zucchini to the pot. Cook until softened, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste and Italian seasoning, cooking for 1 more minute.
- Add the green beans, kidney beans and cannellini beans. Stir to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, parsley and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to low.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.