Everything Sourdough Crackers
Everything sourdough crackers are crunchy, flavorful, and seriously addictive! Once you whip up a batch of these homemade crackers, you’ll be craving them 24/7. Serve them up with slices of cheese or all on their own for the perfect savory snack!
Everything Sourdough Crackers
Everything sourdough crackers, also known as sourdough discard crackers, are my latest obsession. If you’ve never made homemade crackers before, you’re seriously missing out! They’re so much better than store-bought crackers, and they’re really not much of a hassle to whip up.
If you’ve been on the Sourdough bandwagon for the past several months, you’re surely looking for recipes to use that sourdough discard. I’ve been making these crackers with my sourdough starter on repeat because they’re so addicting.
Also – I know I’m not alone in my love for everything seasoning! I feel like this seasoning has really gotten popular over the last few years, and I’m SO very happy about that. I mean, garlic, minced onion and sea salt along with sesame and poppy seeds… I could sprinkle that mixture on so many different things!
As much as I love traditional everything bagels, I think these everything sourdough crackers are even better. I can dip them in cream cheese, top with a piece of cheddar, to eat them all on their own. They’re tasty, easy to make, and versatile. It’s hard not to love them!
How To Make Them
With this recipe, there’s room for both error and personalization. As you can see in my pictures, all of the crackers are shaped a bit differently, and that’s okay! They’re homemade with love and not from a factory, so don’t beat yourself up if they’re a little mismatched!
Mix the ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the starter, flour, butter (or oil) and kosher salt. Mix it all together until the mixture begins to come together and a dough forms.
Knead. Once the dough begins to form, knead it together with your hands until it’s smooth. Kids will love using their hands and helping with this part!
Cover. Cover the kneaded dough with a towel. Allow it to rest for 20 minutes – don’t rush this part!
Divide and roll the dough. Start by dividing the dough in half. Then, roll out the dough into a thin, rectangular shape on a piece of parchment paper. Shape doesn’t matter, here. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
Prepare the dough for baking. Transfer the parchment paper to a baking sheet and brush the top of the dough with melted butter. Then, sprinkle half of the everything seasoning over the dough.
Cut the dough. Cut the dough into squares with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Slide the pieces apart to make a little room to spread when they bake.
Bake. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake the crackers for 15-20 minutes, until they’re brown and crisp.
Cool and break. Allow the freshly baked crackers to cool completely. If there are any crackers that have baked together, break them apart.
What should I serve everything sourdough crackers with?
Store-bought cream cheese or a slice of cheddar cheese both pair well with these flavorful homemade crackers. However, I really love smearing some ricotta cheese and Boursin cheese on these crackers more than anything else!
Or just serve them as your crunchy element for an epic charcuterie board.
How long will they stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these crackers should stay fresh for up to 3 months! They never last that long in my house, though. With all the greedy hands reaching for them, they hardly last a week before they vanish!
What are some variations you recommend?
Sometimes, for a little extra flavor, I’ll mix fresh lemon juice in with the butter used to brush the dough. The lemon juice gives the crackers a fun, zesty kick!
Can I make my own everything seasoning?
Buying a bottle of this seasoning at the store is the easiest way to make this recipe. However, making your own everything seasoning is just as simple! Simply combine equal parts sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, coarse sea salt, and dried onion flakes. Mix it all up, and voila! You have your very own everything seasoning.
Feeling snack-ish? Here are some of my favorite homemade snacks that get me through the day!
- Easy Ranch Oyster Crackers
- Goldfish Pizza Snack Mix
- Bunny Bait Trail Mix
- Spicy Maple Cinnamon Roasted Almonds
Everything Sourdough Crackers Recipe
- 1 cup leftover sourdough starter discard unfed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter or olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Everything Bagel Seasoning
- In a large bowl, mix together the starter, flour, butter (or oil) and kosher salt until the mixture begins to come together and a dough forms.
- Knead it together with your hands until the dough is smooth.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out the dough to a thin, rectangular shape on a piece of parchment paper. Shape doesn’t matter, here. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Transfer the parchment to a baking sheet and brush the top of the dough with melted butter.
- Sprinkle half the Everything Seasoning over the dough.
- Cut the dough into squares with a pizza cutter or sharp knife and slide them apart to make a little room to spread while baking.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Allow the crackers to cool completely and then break apart if they’ve baked together in any of the spaces.