Sausage Tortellini Soup
Sausage Tortellini Soup is filling, flavor packed, and so easy to make! Tender bites of cheese tortellini are served in a tomato and beef broth with hearty Italian sausage, fresh kale, garlic and more. There’s also the perfect amount of half and half and parmesan cheese stirred in at the end to make it oh so creamy!
Sausage Tortellini Soup
We include links to products we use to create this recipe. We may be compensated for purchases made using these links. Thank you for supporting our site.
I don’t know if there’s anything more comforting than this sausage tortellini soup recipe. I mean, this soup seriously has it all! It’s super filling from the Italian sausage and cheese tortellini, and it’s anything but bland from flavorful additions like garlic, Italian seasoning, white wine and more. Oh, and the parmesan and half and half stirred in at the end make it wonderfully creamy and cheesy!
Filling, flavorful, and cheesy… Yep, this tortellini soup with sausage checks all the right boxes. But the best part of all? It’s SO easy to make in just a few simple steps! Essentially, you just have to cook the sausage and veggies, deglaze your pan (which adds so much flavor), stir it all together and bring to a boil, then add the final touches just before serving. Extra parmesan on top of my bowl, please!
Sausage tortellini soup is pretty much the reason I get excited to see the temperature drop below 70 outside. Truth be told, though, I make this soup year-round! It’s just too satisfying not to crave over and over again. Also, it keeps very well in the fridge for a few days, so I like knowing I can make a big batch and enjoy amazing leftovers for the days to come.
How to Make Sausage Tortellini Soup
You’re going to love how easy this one pot recipe is!
- Cook the sausage. Add oil to a large pot and let it warm over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned. Transfer the sausage to a bowl and use a slotted spoon to do so, that way the fat stays in the pot.
- Cook the first few ingredients. Sauté the onions in the reserved fat until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Next, sprinkle in the Italian seasoning and stir in the tomato paste to combine. Cook until the paste turns a deep burgundy color.
- Deglaze the pot. Pour the wine into the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits that have formed at the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, then let it reduce by half before moving forward.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in the tomatoes, cooked sausage, and beef stock. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the final ingredients. Stir in the tortellini and let it cook for about 7 minutes. Make it creamy by stirring in the half and half and parmesan. Add the kale at the very end and season with just a little salt and pepper.
And if you’re not really a fan of sausage, try this easy Chicken Tortellini Soup!
Tips and Variations to Try
Take a look at these quick tips and tricks before you make your creamy sausage tortellini soup:
- You can use heavy cream. Just note that heavy cream will yield a much thicker soup than half and half.
- Turkey sausage. Most grocery stores sell turkey Italian sausage. Feel free to use that instead of pork if preferred.
- Homemade Italian seasoning. I love keeping a jar of homemade Italian seasoning on hand for recipes just like this one!
- Grate the parmesan yourself. Parmesan cheese is so much better when grated fresh off the block! That’s how you get the very best flavor and consistency.
An enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven for under $100 that can be used to bake bread, simmer soups, roast beef, chicken and more. This is a gem in the kitchen.
This fall and winter, enjoy more of my favorite easy soup recipes!
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Beef and Barley Soup with Andouille Sausage
Get the Recipe: Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 14.5 ounce cans diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium beef stock
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 dutch oven
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium/high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat. Return the pot to the heat.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook until softened, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the Italian seasoning and tomato paste, stirring to combine. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes longer or until the tomato paste begins to turn a deep burgundy color.
- Add the wine to the pot and using a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes, sausage and beef stock to the pot stirring to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the tortellini and cook for 7 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the half and half and cheese, then add the kale. Simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.