Light, fluffy eggs whites are baked with cheese and topped with a bright, buttery egg yolk. Eggs in a Cloud with Cheddar and Chives are a healthy breakfast that’s simple, yet impressive, to make. Great for breakfast, brunch or a light lunch.
So we’ve already established that brunch is my favorite meal of the day…..mostly because of the ability to consume cocktails before noon without someone throwing shade (whatever the heck that means.) So, I’ve decided this year to beef up my brunch arsenal with a few more egg dishes because eggs are awesome in any form. From a rich, buttery quiche, to a lightly poached egg…..eggs are the king of the breakfast table. They’re packed with protein and you can make them as healthy or as unhealthy as you want. Eggs in a Cloud with Cheddar and Chives….this is one of those healthy dishes you can make in a matter of minutes.
I have seen so many varieties of Eggs in a Cloud…and so many ways to make them. For a long time I thought they were biscuits….so, much to my disappointment, I later found out that they were just little nests (or “clouds”) of egg whites whipped until fluffy then baked with the egg yolk nestled on top. And even though I was weeping at the thought that I had been tricked…that the carb factor was missing from this beautiful breakfast treat, I was intrigued. And I had to make them myself.
Eggs in a Cloud are ridiculously easy to make with the help of a mixer. And you can mix in just about any type of cheese and herb you want! Or top with an easy Hollandaise Sauce! They’re ready in no time and wonderful for brunch with a salad loaded with fruity and a festive cocktail. If you’re planning your Easter menu right now, they should definitely make an appearance alongside these muffins and an impressive breakfast casserole. Now who’s ready for spring???
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Separate the eggs putting the whites in one large bowl and the yolks in four individual ramekins. Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in the cheese, chives, salt and pepper using a rubber spatula. Spoon the whites into four equal sized mounds on a parchment lined baking sheet and create a deep well in the center of each mound using a spoon or your finger. Bake the egg whites for 2 minutes and then add a yolk to each well. Return the eggs to the oven and bake for an additional 3 minutes or until the yolk is set.
- Serve immediately.