Start your day with a party if your mouth! These super easy Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo are packed with flavor and fantastic for busy mornings.
Today’s the day! My little guy starts kindergarten and the butterflies are working overtime. It doesn’t help that I keep reading “first day horror stories” on Facebook all day long. So many things I think he’s not ready to face…homeschooling is looking pretty good right now….I’m kidding. But really, how can you keep your kids safe when you’re sending them out into the world at the ripe old age of 5? Right? I know he’ll be fine but I still can’t believe this tiny little, strong-willed boy is starting school and his life is right there in front of him to make whatever he wants of it. Ahhh, to be young again.
So, with the hubbub of school and the rushing around in the morning…it’s uber important to make sure you eat breakfast. Like your mother said, it’s the most important meal of the day. And whether you like pancakes or scrambled eggs…you should always sit down to enjoy a little something in your belly. But I do remember the days when I was scrambling to get out the door and was desperate for something to heat up at the office like these Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches OR THESE Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo!
Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo are super easy to make and great for stashing in the freezer for those days when you’d rather just take your coffee intravenously.
In a skillet, you’ll brown your chorizo, cook your onions, peppers and garlic, and scramble your eggs.
Spoon the eggs into the center of your tortilla.
Top the eggs with the chorizo mixture.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Roll up….burrito style, of course.
Wrap your Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo tightly in plastic wrap and then place them in a zip top freezer bag to keep for up to 1 month.
When you’re ready to eat your Freezer Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo, remove one from the bag and unwrap. Roll the burrito up in a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. They’re great served with salsa, diced tomatoes, sour cream, avocado…whatever you want actually. And if you want to get all wild and cray cray….add some black beans or sautéed corn to the chorizo mixture! Now you have one over the top breakfast!
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed (Spicy Italian Sausage is a good replacement)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (I used red and orange)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded oaxaca cheese (Mozzarella can be substituted)
- In a large skillet, crumble the sausage with a fork and cook over medium heat until browned and no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined bowl.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened.
- Stir in the pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the onion mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the bowl with the chorizo and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk briefly to combine.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet and cook over medium heat stirring periodically until the eggs are cooked through.
- Place one tortilla on a flat surface and spoon some of the egg mixture into the center of the tortilla.
- Spoon some of the chorizo mixture over the eggs.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons cheddar and 1 tablespoon oaxaca cheese over the chorizo mixture.
- Roll the burrito up by folding the edge closest to you over the egg mixture and then folding both sided inward. Roll the burrito away from you until closed.
- Wrap the burrito tightly in plastic wrap.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place all burritos in the bag and press out the air. Zip shut and place in the freezer.
- To reheat: Unwrap the burrito from the plastic wrap and rewrap in a paper towel. Heat the burrito in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until cooked through.
- Alternatively, you can reheat the burrito in a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp, golden brown and cooked through.