Extra Crispy Oven Fried Chicken without the mess! Juicy, crunchy and busting at the seams with the best flavor ever, my family begs me to make this recipe every week. Simply amazing and perfect every single time.
I am a lover of fried chicken. Like I could eat it every single day and never grow sick of it. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures….and it’s the ultimate comfort food around. There’s a picture of me somewhere from when I was a ‘wee one’ eating a bucket of fried chicken in a park on a bright sunny day. It’s pretty clear when my obsession began and it’s one that’s not likely to end anytime soon. I.LOVE.IT. But each time I make it at home it’s a huge splatter fest and I need to deep clean/detail the kitchen because there’s grease on every single surface of the room. It’s a mess….it’s no secret….but I still love it.
Then, I decided to try making oven fried chicken…because I was looking for a healthier alternative to deep frying. I tried baking it without the skin…..I tried baking it on a baking sheet…..I tried baking it on a baking rack…..I tried baking it with the skin on a baking rack….it all just was boo. So, after a few tries I gave up…for a bit. Then I decided to change up my chicken coating AND I threw the baking sheet in the oven with a bit of butter while I was dredging the chicken. Hey! Guess what? I’m a flipping genius! Because, besides the fact that my healthy fried chicken recipe isn’t really that healthy anymore, I made Truly Crispy Oven Fried Chicken and it was AMAZING!!!! AMAZING! Ahhhhhhhmazing. My husband is now obsessed with fried chicken. Which isn’t always good because he asks me to make this recipe every single day. Every.Single.Day. No lie.
To be sure my recipe yielded Truly Crispy Oven Fried Chicken, I had to tinker with the coating quite a bit. It turns out that a combination of corn flakes, Rice Krispies (yeah, the same ones you make Rice Krispie Treats with) panko bread crumbs and flour seasoned with some cayenne, salt and pepper is the key to all your crispy chicken dreams. And then I had to make sure the chicken didn’t dry out or lack flavor so I marinade my chicken parts in a killer combo of buttermilk, hot sauce, lemon, salt and pepper overnight. No longer than 24 hours but definitely not less than 4. You want that deliciousness to get in there real deep. 🙂
THEN to be sure that chicken gets nice and crisp….just like it is when you deep fry it, you MUST start with a screaming hot baking sheet or the bottom of the chicken is just going to steam, the coating will not stick and you’ll have a sog-fest going on. So NOT crispy chicken and definitely NOT good eats. I melt the butter on the baking sheet while it’s heating up and then I toss the chicken into the butter. You’ll hear it sizzle….you’ll start salivating. Be prepared.
Truly Crispy Oven Fried Chicken is perfect for Sunday dinner or, if you plan ahead, an easy weeknight dinner. Served with the BEST mashed potatoes and a fresh corn salad….this will definitely forget ever buying a bucket of chicken again. SOOOOO AMAZING! Oh….and did I tell you it’s AMAZING!? 🙂
Truly Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- 2-3 pounds chicken parts (I like legs and thighs the best!)
For the marinade
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco in this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the coating
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 1/2 cups corn flakes
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter
- Place the chicken pieces in a large zip top bag and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the bag with the chicken and seal. Place the bag in a large bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. (Do not marinade longer than 24 hours.)
- Add the rice cereal, corn flakes and panko to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the ingredients until a fine crumb forms and transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the flour, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper to the cereal crumb mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and dredge each piece in the flour mixture to coat. Shake off excess coating. Set aside.
- Place the butter on a sheet pan and transfer to the oven. Remove when the butter is melted.
- While the pan is still hot, lay the chicken on the pan skin side down and return to the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the crust is a deep golden brown and crisp.
- Turn the chicken over and continue baking for 20-25 minutes until the bottom is golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve immediately with lemon wedges or hot sauce.