Black-Eyed Pea and Corn Salad with Spinach
A burst of summer flavor in this fresh and fiber packed Black-Eyed Pea and Corn Salad. Tossed with spinach, red onion and a creamy dressing kicked up with a bit of heat, this is a must have at every picnic and barbecue.
Hey y’all! Happy Tuesday, I’ll be heading back to the beach later this week…but first…I have a picnic brewing and it will be broadcast on LIVE TV! Yep, I’ll be making an appearance on Good Day Philly Fox 29 on Wednesday morning bring you all some tips and tricks on how to Picnic Like a PRO! You know you all want to know how to stage the perfect picnic…one that will make your friends on Instagram drool and think you’ve gone all “Martha Stewart” on them. Well, stay tuned if you’re not in the Philadelphia area because I’ll be sharing the links right here so you’re all filled in and can start loading your IG feed with drool-worthy picnic photos. We’ll be talking about picnic blankets, how to keep your food cold, how to keep bugs away…fashionably….and much, MUCH more. You WON’T want to miss it!
But first…let’s talk salad. One that’s light and fresh and a favorite of mine for YEARS! I love an easy salad that’s packed with summer veggies and corn is KING right now. (Why am I yelling so much in this post?!?! I’m SO SORRY!) Sweet corn this year is just completely, over the top yumtastic…like the best I’ve had in years. I just couldn’t wait to put it in a salad so I twisted a recipe that I loved from Ellie Krieger and added sweet summer corn to it. This Black-Eyed Pea and Corn Salad with Spinach is one big flavor bomb in a bowl, it’s kind of unassuming in appearance but one bite and you’ll be hooked. I’ve been shoveling this into my mouth all day long and that’s even with a cherry pie sitting there just waiting to be devoured. I chose this salad over pie….that should be reason enough to make it, like, right now.
It’s super simple to make, too! You just cook your corn in a big ole pot of boiling water with a bit of sugar…yeah, add some sugar to that pot and you’ll end up with the most amazing ear of corn you’ve ever tasted. Don’t doubt me, just do it. Then, once your corn has cooled, remove it from the ears with a sharp knife.
Toss your corn with some thawed frozen black-eyed peas…
Add in some spinach and red onion.
Toss with the dressing.
And now devour. Black-Eyed Pea and Corn Salad with Spinach would be fantastic at any picnic or barbecue because it just gets better the longer it sits (within reason, of course.) It’s a great side dish to these spicy ribs or pack it in your picnic basket to enjoy with your pressed picnic sandwich. Heck, make a whole salad smorgasbord if you wish with this easy tortellini salad and some slaw! It’s your picnic….you do you.
Summer's freshest salad! Black-eyed Pea ad Corn Salad is exactly what summer is about. Fresh, zingy, sweet and delish!
- 4 large ears sweet corn husked
- 1 12- ounce bag frozen black-eyed peas thawed
- 2 cups baby spinach sliced into ribbons
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and the corn to the pot. Turn off the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove the corn and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the kernels from the cob using a sharp knife by cutting downward in a large bowl.
- Add the black-eyed peas, spinach and onion to the corn. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.