Black Eyed Pea Salad with Corn and Spinach
A burst of summer flavor in this fresh and fiber packed Black Eyed Pea Salad. Tossed with fresh corn, spinach, red onion and a creamy dressing kicked up with a bit of heat, this is a must have at every picnic and barbecue.
Black Eyed Pea Salad
Let’s give the under appreciated Black Eyed Pea a little love with an easy, healthy, fresh salad that’s perfect for summer! My Black Eyed Pea Salad is simple to make and the best side dish you didn’t know you needed.
Packed with protein, the black eyed peas are more than just a band….they are tender, fiber filled deliciousness that make great bean salads. Tossed with summer’s best vegetable, sweet corn, they turn into a salad that’s hearty enough to enjoy on it’s own as a vegetarian meal.
How To Make It
This Black-Eyed Pea and Corn Salad with Spinach is one big flavor bomb in a bowl, it’s kind of unassuming in appearance but one bite and you’ll be hooked.
You can easily make this with frozen corn but it’s even better with corn cut straight from the cob.
It’s super simple to make, too! You just cook your corn in a big pot using our favorite method for cooking corn. Don’t doubt me, just do it. Then, once your corn has cooled, remove it from the ears with a sharp knife.
Toss your corn with some thawed frozen black-eyed peas…
Add in some spinach and red onion.
Toss with the dressing.
What To Serve It With
Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Spinach would be fantastic at any picnic or barbecue because it just gets better the longer it sits (within reason, of course.)
Or try these favorites:
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- Grilled Spatchcock Chicken Recipe
- Grilled London Broil with Balsamic Fig Marinade
More Summer Salad Recipes
Get the Recipe: Black-Eyed Pea and Corn Salad with Spinach
- 4 large ears sweet corn, husked
- 1 12- ounce bag frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 2 cups baby spinach, sliced into ribbons
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and the corn to the pot. Turn off the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove the corn and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the kernels from the cob using a sharp knife by cutting downward in a large bowl.
- Add the black-eyed peas, spinach and onion to the corn. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.