Creamy and loaded with two kinds of cheese, this Cheesy Kale Gratin recipe is a tasty fall side dish that’s husband and kid approved! Simple ingredients combined with FRESH kale then baked until golden and bubbly….this one is a fall and winter must have.
I’m sitting in the most quant little inn in Southern Oregon right now. I flew out here to visit one of my partners and I kinda don’t want to leave….like ever. I know I say this a lot but right now…I feel like Mother Nature totally ruined my fall in the East. The warm weather really messed up our fall foliage and I, a HUGE lover of fall, couldn’t be more depressed about it. All our leaves turned brown….then fell to the ground when the first wind blew through. Not one bit of color to be seen anywhere. But HERE…it’s a spectacular show of autumn. And now, I couldn’t be more satisfied. I can’t wait to share all the details and gorgeous photos once I had them edited but I’m here for ONE MORE DAY and you can totally follow along over on Instagram.
In the meantime, the best holiday of the year is coming up….THANKSGIVING! And I have a ton of recipes to share with all of you…starting with this Cheesy Kale Gratin Recipe. It’s EXACTLY like this spinach dish from years ago (please don’t judge the hideousness of the photos…LOL) but made healthier because….kale. See, I think I’m the only person in the world who can take a totally healthy ingredient and then turn it on it’s head. But in all fairness, Kale with cheese in a creamy béchamel sauce just needs to be done. And so…..here it is.
My Cheesy Kale Gratin recipe is super easy to make and you can prep it ahead of time to bake right before serving. It’s a fantastic side dish for any occasion…even the super gluttonous favorite coming in just a few short weeks. Serve it alongside your turkey with your favorite stuffing and cranberry sauce for a simple, yet super festive, celebration. Don’t forget the popovers and cocktails…I like to nibble and sip while the family starts talking all things politics. It’s like the best reality TV there is….minus the camera crew….and commercial breaks. 🙂
Cheesy Kale Gratin Recipe
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale, stems removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Stir in the flour and nutmeg and cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly so the flour does not burn. Pour in the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Working in batches, add the kale once cup at a time to the cream sauce and stir until wilted. Add 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of Gruyere and stir thoroughly. Stir in the salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over top evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Parties
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 284kcal Calories from fat 192|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|