Cheesy Creamed Spinach Recipe
The BEST Creamed Spinach recipe baked under a blanket of cheese. Easy, extra cheesy Spinach Gratin is the ultimate side dish that takes no time at all to make. Creamy spinach casserole blended with two types of cheese is sure to be a hit at any gathering.
Originally published in November 2013 and updated on November 1, 2019.
I don’t know about you but my favorite part about Thanksgiving dinner is the sides. Growing up, my family Thanksgiving gatherings were more of a potluck because there were so many of us. This meant there was always a ridiculous buffet of anything and everything.
I DO love a great pumpkin pie but I always gorged myself on so many sides that I never had room left to try any of the desserts. And believe me…that table was overflowing with goodness as well. But once you unbutton your pants….it’s time to pull back a bit and put the fork down. Except when it comes to homemade Creamed Spinach.
Now that it’s just a small part of my family that gets together (because, frankly, the family just got toooo big I think.) I make my favorites. And I’ve tweaked them just enough over the years that they are now perfect (to me anyway)….and a tradition.
It makes hosting the holiday easier if you have some go-to dishes that you know will turn out amazing even if the turkey has a mind of it’s own that day. Honestly, I don’t know anyone that says the turkey is their favorite part of the dinner anyway. So don’t sweat it!
THE BEST CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE
Creamed Spinach is just that….cooked spinach blended in a creamy sauce that takes minutes to whip up. My first taste of creamed spinach was at Boston Market and I just couldn’t get enough of it. This recipe is almost the same as the Boston Market version but I blended in cheese.
I, now, love creamed spinach but rarely make it at home which is weird because it’s really super simple to make from scratch. And this easy Spinach Gratin is just creamed spinach with cheese in it….and on it. Then baked into a golden, bubbly cheesy masterpiece that goes so well with any dinner, in my opinion.
This easy Creamed Spinach recipe is so simple and quick to pull together….just make sure that your spinach is thawed before you start. (I learned the hard way years ago.) And you can assemble the dish with the cheese topping up to two days in advance and then bake it while the turkey is resting.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY CREAMED SPINACH
This recipe is so easy to pull together you can have it on the table in no time flat!
- Heat the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the flour and nutmeg. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and milk. Stir until thickened.
- Add the spinach to the cream sauce. (If you want to skip the cheese, you can at this point and you’ll have basic creamed spinach.)
- Stir in the 1/2 the parmesan and 1/2 the gruyere.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the creamed spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Serve immediately.
It’s amazing on a “day after Thanksgiving” turkey/grilled cheese sandwich. I’ll share that one later. 🙂
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CREAMED SPINACH
Just about anything goes well with creamed spinach with cheese….our favorites are not limited to holidays or steakhouse classics. We love to serve it alongside a Sunday roast chicken or our favorite weeknight dinner…Baked Chicken Breast.
MORE EASY SIDE DISHES
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Cornflake Crust
- Super easy and quick Lyonnaise Potatoes
- The BEST Creamed Corn recipe
- Simple Scalloped Potatoes
Cheesy Creamed Spinach Gratin Recipe
A steakhouse classic, this easy Creamed Spinach is baked with a blanket of cheese.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large Vidalia onions chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 10- ounce packages chopped frozen spinach thawed
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and nutmeg and cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly so the flour does not burn.
- Pour in the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add to the cream sauce.
- Add 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of Gruyere and stir thoroughly.
- Stir in the salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over top evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Creamed Spinach Gratin can be assembled up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator tightly wrapped with plastic wrap.
Uncover and bake as directed right before serving.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Parties