7 Layer Salad
Delicious, nutritious, and simply stunning – this 7 Layer Salad has a little something for everybody! A base of lettuce is topped with layers of grape tomatoes, green peas, red onions, chopped up hard boiled eggs, cucumber, homemade dressing, and toppings that couldn’t be better. Bacon, cheddar cheese, and scallions? Yes, please!
7 Layer Salad
All seven layers of this picturesque salad work in tandem with each other to make for a perfect bite every time! I know it seems like a lot to try to fit in all of the layers onto your fork for the ultimate bite, but don’t worry. Even if you only get half of the ingredients on your fork at a time, you’re still in for a real treat! This salad really has it all, in the best of ways.
Summertime is filled with potlucks and parties of all sorts. While I’m a big fan of finger foods and easy appetizers for such occasions, sometimes I like to show off a little bit with something Instagram-worthy! This salad is exactly that, while still being incredibly easy to make in just a few minutes with minimal effort. Hassle-free and brag worthy – it’s really the best of both worlds!
You’ll notice that the toppings on this salad include what are sure to be your kids favorite part of the whole thing! Crispy bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh green onions sit atop the layer of creamy homemade dressing. That dressing is quick and easy to whip up with minimal, yet delicious ingredients like honey, greek yogurt, mayo, and more.
How to Make A 7 Layer Salad
This Seven Layer Salad is so quick and easy to assemble! You’ll love making this stress free, showstopping salad right before a party.
- Make the homemade dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, honey and vinegar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Assemble the layers. In a large bowl or trifle dish, arrange the lettuce in the bottom in an even layer. Top the lettuce with a layer of tomatoes. Then arrange the peas in an even layer over the tomatoes. Top with the red onion, eggs and cucumber.
- Top it off. Pour the dressing on top of the cucumbers and then sprinkle with cheese, bacon and scallions.
- Enjoy! Serve your 7 Layer Salad immediately, and enjoy.
Can I make 7 Layer Salad ahead of time?
If you’re planning on making this layered salad in advance, save the dressing, cheese, bacon, and scallions in a separate container until you’re ready to serve it. Top the salad with the dressing, then sprinkle with the cheese, bacon and scallions to prevent the bacon from getting soggy just before serving.
Variations to Try
- The honey used in the dressing can be substituted with sugar, if preferred.
- Parmesan cheese can be added to the dressing for an extra level of savoriness. Add 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Cherry tomatoes are totally fine to use in place of grape tomatoes.
- I like to use pork bacon, but turkey bacon also works well if preferred.
Tips for the Best Seven Layer Salad
- If you want eggs that are seriously easy to peel, make my favorite Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs!
- Make sure to pat your iceberg lettuce lightly with a paper towel prior to placing it in the bottom of the dish. If it’s too moist, it’ll create a little puddle at the bottom of your salad.
- Make your bacon at home instead of buying dried bits from the store! You can either Cook Bacon in the Microwave or Bake Bacon in the Oven. Both methods yield great results!
Keep things fresh with some of my best salad recipes!
Get the Recipe: 7 Layer Salad Recipe (Seven Layer Salad)
For The Dressing:
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 large head iceberg Lettuce, rinsed, patted dry and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 cups sliced grape tomatoes
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 sliced cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- salad bowl
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, honey and vinegar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl or trifle dish, arrange the lettuce in the bottom in an even layer.
- Top the lettuce with a layer of tomatoes. Then arrange the peas in an even layer over the tomatoes. Top with the red onion, eggs and cucumber.
- Pour the dressing on top of the cucumbers and then sprinkle with cheese, bacon and scallions.
- Serve immediately.