The Very Best Tuna Salad Recipe // Video
Fresh and light, this is the VERY Best Tuna Salad ever. Simple to make with every day ingredients, this easy tuna salad recipe will be a weekly staple. Great for the lunchbox or picnic basket!
Tuna Salad is a staple in our kitchen. A healthy lunch recipe I know I can get on the table in about 2 minutes flat and always, always have the ingredients readily available at all times.
It’s a great option for the lunchbox to take to school or work AND it doubles as a fantastic post workout snack when stuffed in an avocado half. We also use this very same tuna salad recipe as the start of our crusty Tuna Melt Sandwiches….hello, easiest dinner ever.
EASY TUNA SALAD RECIPE
This is, by far, my favorite Tuna Salad recipe ever. In my opinion, it’s the best ever. I created this tuna fish recipe after falling in love with the Whole Foods deli yellowfin tuna salad.
Their salad was fresh, light and not heavy on the mayonnaise at all. It was packed with tangy flavor and perfectly seasoned.
My version is even better because it’s made fresh at home and you can adjust the amount of the add in ingredients as you want. It’s naturally healthy and loaded with crunchy vegetables like carrots, celery and red onion. My kids just can’t get enough.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
The ingredient list for this Tuna Salad Sandwich recipe is short and simple.
This is what you’ll need:
- Tuna – The type of tuna you use does matter a little bit. I use an Albacore tuna packed in water and prefer to use it in a can, drained thoroughly. You can use tuna in a pouch, as well, or another preferred type of tuna but be sure it’s packed in water, not oil. Leftover ahi tuna from your sushi dinner can also be cooked and used in your tuna salad.
- Mayonnaise – Regular mayonnaise is preferred here for because the full fat variety has more flavor and so, you’ll use less of it. Less mayo, healthy tuna salad.
- Carrots – You’ll want your carrots finely chopped so to make that easier, I buy the matchstick cut or shredded carrots and then chop them up from there.
- Celery – Be sure your celery is fresh and washed free of grit. Chop finely like you do the carrots.
- Red Onion – Red onion adds color and a bit of a peppery bite but it’s potent so only add a small amount. AND finely mince!
- Lemon – Juice and zest of the lemon adds tons of fresh flavor.
- Parsley – More for color but parsley is also loaded with health benefits.
That’s it, season with salt and pepper…..you’re ready to go!
PRO TIPS AND VARIATIONS
To make sure your tuna salad is the BEST ever…..follow these simple tips.
- Always make sure you flake all the chunks of tuna fish with a fork until it’s a shredded consistency. This will guarantee you won’t end up with a dry tuna salad or big bits of tuna throughout your sandwich.
- Make it even healthier by swapping out half the mayonnaise and adding greek yogurt to your tuna salad. It also adds extra tanginess that’s light and refreshing.
- Add cooked macaroni to your tuna salad for a fun twist on the usual picnic staple.
- Chop up hardboiled eggs and fold them into the salad for added protein.
- Got apples? They’re a surprisingly tasty addition when shredded or finely chopped then added to your salad.
- Add a tablespoon of fresh chopped dill for a burst of flavor like none other. You’ll love it, guaranteed!
HOW TO SERVE IT
Aside from the classic tuna salad sandwich, we also love to stuff a juicy summer tomato with this simple tuna salad recipe. Kids also love it in these easy Tuna Tacos!
MORE EASY SALAD RECIPES
If you like this tuna salad, you’ll also love this easy Chicken Salad! It’s fresh, it’s light and so, sooo simple to make.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE! FOLLOW US BEHIND THE SCENES AT INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE FAMILY FAVORITE MEALS!
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Tuna Salad Recipe
- 2 5- ounce cans yellowfin tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Place the tuna in a medium bowl and break up with a fork until finely shredded.
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, lemon zest, juice, parsley and mayonnaise to the tuna. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.