The Very Best Ham Salad Recipe
A Southern Ham Salad recipe that’s the perfect way to use up any leftover ham. This easy Ham Salad is great on sandwiches or as a simple spread for crackers. A must have for parties and the Kentucky Derby celebration!
So, now that Easter’s just about behind us…..who has a ton of leftover ham? I know we certainly do and it’s the best excuse to whip up the Best Ham Salad in the world.
Southern Ham Salad is one of those things that I put up there with Pimento Cheese….it’s kinda weird if you’ve never actually seen it before but for my Southern friends….it’s kind of a staple. It looks kind of lumpy and strangely pink but one swoop of your cracker and you’ll be hooked by the salty, vinegary punch that I know and love.
With all the bridal showers, baby showers and the Kentucky Derby right around the corner….it’s about time you get acquainted with this easy Ham Salad. PLUS, it’s a fabulous recipe for leftover ham!
What is Ham Salad?
Easy Ham Salad is a traditional American salad similar to tuna salad, chicken salad or even crab salad where the main ingredient is ham. It’s often found in southern restaurants and parties.
What is Ham Salad made of?
Homemade Ham Salad is usually made of chopped or minced ham, mayonnaise, mustard, chopped pickles, celery and onion. You can add just about anything you want to your ham salad recipe to make it your own.
Some other things I like to add to Ham Salad:
- pickle relish
- grainy mustard
- lemon zest
- hot sauce
How do you make Ham Salad?
The Very Best Ham Salad is so simple to make in about 2 minutes flat with the help of a food processor or powerful blender.
Here’s how to make Ham Salad:
- Place the ham and pickles in the food processor or blender. Pulse to chop.
- Transfer the ham mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, chopped scallions, onion, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve as a Ham Salad Sandwich or a ham salad spread with crackers.
Can you freeze Ham Salad?
Fresh Ham Salad can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Leftover Ham Salad that’s been stored in the refrigerator for more than a day is not fresh enough to freeze and should be eaten immediately.
How long does it keep?
This easy Ham Salad recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Transfer your ham salad to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Be sure to give it a stir before serving and it’s best when served chilled.
This Southern Style Ham Salad recipe is very similar to Deviled Ham Salad except that deviled ham doesn’t have the pickles and other veggies blended into the mix.
What can you serve with Ham Salad?
If you’re serving you this recipe as a Ham Salad Sandwich recipe, I love to serve them with:
- Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips
- Red Beet Pickled Eggs
- Classic Deviled Eggs
- Pimento Cheese Deviled Eggs
- Creamy Tomato Bisque
- Black Eyed Pea and Corn Salad
If you’re serving this as a Ham Salad Spread for a party, I love these recipes with it:
- Easy Pimento Cheese Dip
- The BEST EVER Hot Crab Dip
- Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Super EASY Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Hot Artichoke Asiago Dip
The Very Best Ham Salad recipe is truly a very versatile treat! I’ve even had this tangy salad served on top of a green salad with a light blue cheese dressing and it made the best filling, yet healthy, lunch!
Super fantastic for the summer months, this ham salad is a regular staple in our picnic basket along with a simple fruit tray and a bottle of wine. Round it out with a wedge of sharp cheddar and you have one epic summer treat.
Looking for more easy salad recipes, try these READER FAVORITES:
- The VERY BEST Tuna Salad….seriously, even better than Whole Foods!
- Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwiches….so good!
- The Best EVER Egg Salad….perfect for sandwiches
- Totally refreshing Chicken Waldorf Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad...totally magical.
- Easy Ambrosia Salad….salad for dessert!
- Chicken Salad with Dried Cranberries
I post over there fun family trips, my favorite restaurants and the occasional lifestyle tip PLUS fun behind the scenes stuff on our Instastories. You don’t want to miss it!
So….what’s your favorite way to use up leftover ham….I’m always on the hunt for new ideas, too.
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Ham Salad Recipe
- 2 cups chopped baked ham
- 8 sweet gherkins
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp creole mustard , or dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery, about 2 stalks
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place the ham and gherkins in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to chop.
- Transfer the ham mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, scallions, celery and red onion. Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to an airtight container and chill until ready to use.