This easy Caprese Sandwich recipe is perfect for making all summer long! Fresh, vibrant flavors from juicy seasoned tomatoes and aromatic basil are made even more delicious with thick sliced marinara and balsamic glaze. I think my favorite part might just be the creamy basil pesto mayo that’s slathered on the bread!
I’m currently very much in my sandwich era. And yes, that’s definitely a thing! I don’t know if it’s because I’m planning on packing picnic baskets this summer or if I’m just a devout bread lover, but sandwiches have been my happy place these days. One that I’m particularly infatuated with (as I’m sure you can guess) is this easy, cheesy caprese sandwich!
Listen, I’m a huge fan of caprese anything. Whether it’s a tomato mozzarella caprese salad, caprese tortellini pasta salad or baked chicken caprese skillet, I can always find a way to get my caprese fix. This sandwich recipe might just be my new favorite caprese recipe because it features all of my favorite summery flavors between two soft pieces of bakery fresh ciabatta bread.
Tomatoes are a key component to every caprese recipe. In this recipe, I drizzle a little olive oil on them with a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder to make them even more mouthwatering! They’re then layered with fresh basil leaves, thick sliced mozzarella, balsamic glaze and the most amazing creamy basil pesto mayo. There’s a whole lot to love about this easy sandwich recipe!
How to Make a Caprese Sandwich
When you’re hungry for a quick lunch, this recipe is perfect for you! This easy caprese sandwich comes together in just a few minutes with hassle-free steps.
- Prepare the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes in a single layer. Season them with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Make the pesto mayo mix. Whisk together the mayo and basil pesto until smooth.
- Assemble the sandwich. Spread the top and bottom halves of the bread with the pesto mayo. Layer the basil, mozzarella and tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and add the top of the bread.
- Enjoy! Serve your caprese sandwich immediately and enjoy!
Tips and Variations to Try
- Use fresh basil pesto. I promise you, fresh basil pesto goes a very long way in this sandwich recipe! It’s mixed with mayonnaise to create the most amazing condiment that compliments the caprese ingredients in a perfect way.
- Choose a good olive oil. A good quality olive oil is pretty important when it comes to topping off fresh ingredients like tomatoes. Try to get your hands on a good quality extra virgin olive oil for the very best flavor.
- Feel free to warm it up. I personally like how cool and refreshing this lighter sandwich is, but you can totally warm it up if you’d like! Press it in a panini press or flip it on your stovetop. And yes, it’s way better than the caprese panini at Starbucks if I do say so myself.
- Add some chicken. If you’d like some protein added to this otherwise vegetarian sandwich, consider tossing on a sliced chicken breast.
Can I make a caprese sandwich ahead of time?
Once assembled, it’s best to serve this sandwich within a few hours! The olive oil, juicy tomatoes and basil pesto mayo can all make the bread soggy if it sits for too long. Try to keep the sandwich in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it. With that being said, it will hold up just fine in a picnic basket for a little while!
Take a bite out of these seriously satisfying sandwich recipes!
- Open Faced Tuna Melt
- Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- Hot Roast Beef Sandwich
Get the Recipe: Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- 3 Tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 Ciabatta Loaf, cut into four equal pieces and sliced in half
- 1 pound Mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup fresh Basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Arrange the tomatoes on a platter in a single layer. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and basil pesto stirring until smooth.
- Spread the top and bottom halves of the ciabatta with the basil mayonnaise to coat.
- Layer the basil leaves, mozzarella and tomatoes on the bottom half of the ciabbata.
- Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and top with the top half of the roll.
- Serve immediately.