Pimento Cheese Sandwich
When it comes to Southern staples, you just can’t beat a Pimento Cheese Sandwich! A creamy, cheesy, and boldly flavored filling is sandwiched between two pieces of bread and most notably served with olives. Enjoy this classic cheese sandwich for lunch with some salty chips for the best flavor combo!
Pimento Cheese Sandwich
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
If you’ve already fallen in love with my favorite Homemade Pimento Cheese Spread recipe, then welcome back. You already know the deal! I usually serve this vibrant orange cheese as part of an appetizer spread with crackers, but it’s also pretty downright delicious when simply served on white bread. That’s the magic of this recipe – the simplicity of it all!
Did you know that pimentos are just peppers? I know it may seem obvious to some, but there are plenty of people who think that pimento is just a type of cheese because of how often it’s associated with this spread/sandwich filling. Red pimento peppers are speckled in a mixture of cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, Colby Jack cheese and more in this wonderfully cheesy sandwich recipe.
I’m especially fond of pimento cheese sandwiches during the spring and summer months. Why? Because it’s a chilled no-bake recipe that doesn’t require me to get my kitchen hot! The sandwich itself is savory, yet not too heavy, so it really satisfies on a hot and sunny day. Round out your lunch (preferably a picnic in the park) with some iced Southern style sweet tea, and enjoy!
How to Make a Pimento Cheese Sandwich
Making this sandwich should only take you about 5 minutes or less. Just whip everything together for the filling, assemble, and enjoy. It’s really that easy!
- Make the cheese spread. Whip the cream cheese using a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the cheddar, Colby Jack, mayonnaise, and seasonings. Continue mixing until combined. Mix in the pimentos.
- Assemble the sandwich. Spread the cheese over your bread, top with the other slice, and take a big bite. Don’t forget to serve with olives and pickles!
These sandwiches are so easy to make. Whip them up before a picnic, party, or get together with friends in no time! They also travel very well.
Make them even better by starting fresh with a loaf of our favorite homemade white bread!
These fun cocktail picks are perfect for holding delicate sandwiches together, as well as, garnishing refreshing summer cocktails. Adorable and reusable!
What is pimento cheese made of?
This classic spread/sandwich filling (sometimes called pâté of the south) is made deliciously with the following simple ingredients:
- Cream Cheese – This will need to be softened to room temperature. Don’t forget to let it sit on the countertop for a little while before you use it.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – I recommend that both the cheddar and Colby Jack cheeses are freshly shredded for the best consistency and flavor.
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Mayonnaise – I don’t recommend using low-fat mayo. A regular mayo will create the thickest, creamiest consistency.
- Cayenne Pepper – There’s just enough cayenne in the mix to make the pimento cheese flavorful, but not spicy. Omit if you have spice sensitivities or add more if you want to turn up the heat.
- Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt – You can omit this if you need the recipe to have less sodium.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Chopped Pimentos
I really love that I can easily grab all of those ingredients in one quick trip to the grocery store. It’s a budget-friendly recipe that always satisfies!
Can I make pimento cheese sandwiches ahead of time?
You can definitely make the pimento cheese itself ahead of time, but I don’t recommend assembling the sandwiches until the same day you plan on serving them. If the cheese sits on the bread for too long, it may cause it to get a little soggy. Keep your pimento cheese stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing pimento cheese.
Take a bite out of my favorite easy sandwich recipes!
- Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Chopped Cheese Sandwich
- Classic Muffuletta Sandwich
- Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Get the Recipe: Pimento Cheese Sandwich Recipe
For the Pimento Cheese:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped pimentos
For the sandwich:
- 8 slices white bread
- Olives and cornichons for garnish, optional.
- 1 hand mixer
To make the cheese spread:
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream cheese using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the cheddar, Colby Jack, mayonnaise, cayennes, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Continue mixing on medium speed until well blended.
- Add the pimentos and mix to combine.
To make the sandwich:
- Arrange four slices of bread on a flat work surface.
- Spread the cheese spare over the bread and top with the remaining bread slices.
- Cut in half and serve with olives and pickles.