Easy Caprese Tortellini Salad Recipe // Video
Loaded with summer flavor, Easy Caprese Tortellini Salad is party perfect for any occasion. Ready in minutes and with just a handful of ingredients, you’ll be adding this to your list of summer staples!
Originally published in June 2016 and updated in July 2019.
It’s party season…or at least it seems to be. With the kick off of summer just last week and all the Memorial Day hubbub…then graduation looming here in just two days….it seems there’s a celebration around every single corner.
And each one is bigger and better than the last one….each person trying to one up the neighbors to ensure their soiree is the talk of the season.
Especially in the summer, let’s just enjoy a few cocktails and stuff our faces silly while we listen to the birds chirp, the leaves blow in the wind and the kids squeal with joy that school is finally out. Shall we?
And let’s start with something insanely simple, like Easy Caprese Tortellini Salad…mmmmkay? It’s been my experience that pasta salad is the first bowl to vanish at any barbecue….people LOVE their carbs. And I’m one of those people. I could, literally, live on pasta salad morning, noon and night.
I love any variation from a simple macaroni salad to a Italian-ized blend of chopped veggies. I could eat it all. And with everyone flipping out over “Caprese” everything…I thought I’d just go with it…..simply. Because it’s summer and we need to take it easy. 🙂
How to Make Tortellini Pasta Salad
This easy Caprese Tortellini Salad recipe is so easy to make…you’re just not going to believe it. Really. Just four ingredients go into a bowl…..cheese tortellini, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil pesto...tossed together and then, voila….salad. Probably the best you ever had. Unless you tried this version from last summer, then it may be a toss up. Or a tie.
- Cook the tortellini pasta to just al dente, about a minute less than the package instructions.
- Immediately drain the pasta and stop the cooking by running under cold water briefly.
- Transfer the tortellini to a bowl.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, basil pesto and cheese.
- Toss to combine.
- Serve with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
Can you make Tortellini Pasta Salad in advance?
You can DEFINITELY make this easy Caprese Tortellini Salad in advance. In fact, it’s even better if you make it the day before because the pesto has a chance to get all in the nooks and crannies of the tortellini making it extra tasty!
What to Serve with Caprese Tortellini Salad
Here are my favorite things to pair with my pasta salad:
- The Very Best Oven Baked Chicken….naturally.
- Easy Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cutlets….so good!
- Super fast Grilled Filet Mignon
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
MORE EASY SUMMER SIDE DISHES
- Traditional Greek Salad with Feta
- Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Super easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Quick Broccoli Salad with Bacon
And if you’re looking for more salad inspiration be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Easy Caprese Tortellini Salad
- 1-20 oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini, I used Buitoni
- 1-7 oz package refrigerated basil pesto, I used Buitoni Basil Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. Add the tortellini and cook according to package directions. (Do not overcook.)
- Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
- Add the pesto, tomatoes and cheese. Toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.