Start the party off right when you serve Chicken Chimichangas! These are essentially just super flavorful chicken burritos that are deep fried to crispy golden brown perfection right on your stove top. Whether it’s Cinco de Mayo or just a fun family night at home, you’ll love serving up these insanely delicious chimichangas!
Guys, this might just be the most fun you ever have in the kitchen… Especially if you have a little one running around the house repeating the word “chimichanga” over and over again! While it’s fun to say, this entree is even more enjoyable to eat. It’s essentially a chicken burrito that’s crazy flavorful all rolled up in a tortilla that gets fried to absolute perfection.
Let’s talk about what makes that chicken filling so absolutely mouthwatering. Shredded chicken is mixed with onions, garlic, tomato sauce, fajita seasoning, salsa, and sour cream. It all comes together in a flavor-packed medley that’s creamy, filling, and oh so bold!
Refried beans and two different cheeses accompany the chicken mixture in the burritos to really make them undeniably good.
If you’re not used to frying foods, have no fear! This easy recipe is super simple and you’ll have it down in no time. You really just have to fry the rolled burritos for a few moments on each side until they’re deliciously golden, then let them drain a little before garnishing and serving.
Oh, and you can’t forget the garnishes that really amp things up! Some of my favorites include sour cream, cheese, and jalapeños.
How to Make Chicken Chimichangas
Here’s a little sneak peek of how to make the BEST chicken chimichangas!
- Make the chicken filling. Sauté your onions until translucent in a skillet over medium-high heat, then stir in the garlic. Stir in the tomato sauce, fajita seasoning, and salsa. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half. Then, stir in the sour cream and chicken. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Assemble the chimichangas. Spread some refried beans into the middle of each tortilla. Top with the chicken mixture and both cheeses. Fold the sides in tightly, then roll the burrito.
- Fry the chimichangas. Fill a skillet with an inch of oil and heat over medium-high. Once the temperature reaches 360°F-365°F, add the two burritos (seam side down). Use metal tongs and flip until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain the chimichangas. Remove the chimichangas from the hot oil and place them on paper towels to drain. Repeat this process.
Tips for the Best Chicken Chimichangas
Get the best results every time when you follow these simple tips:
- Use a rotisserie chicken. This will save you so much time! Rather than cooking your own chicken, buy one already ready to shred from the grocery store.
- Check the temperature of the oil. Using an instant read thermometer is pretty crucial when deep frying anything. If it’s not hot enough, the chimichangas will end up greasy and under-cooked. If it’s too hot, they’ll burn. The ideal temperature is 360°F-365°F.
- Make your own refried beans. I promise that the final result is so worth the added effort! Use my favorite recipe for homemade refried beans for the most flavorful and satisfying burrito filler.
What kind of garnishes should I use?
There are so many to choose from! If you’re hosting a party, I recommend offering a toppings bar so everyone can pick and choose exactly what they want on top of their chimichangas. Some of the best toppings include sliced jalapeños, chopped avocado, guacamole, pico de gallo, cilantro, sour cream, salsa or hot sauce.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with more of my favorite Mexican-inspired recipes!
For more easy Mexican recipes, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts
- Canola oil for frying, plus 2 tablespoons for sautéing (or another neutral oil will work)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons fajita seasoning
- 1/4 cup salsa, bottled or fresh
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream, plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans, homemade or store bought
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Guacamole, jalapeños and diced tomatoes, for serving (optional)
- 1 deep skillet
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until slightly softened, approximately 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add in tomato sauce, fajita seasoning and salsa. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened and reduces by half.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir in sour cream and chicken to combine.
- Spread 3-4 tablespoons refried beans onto the center of each tortilla, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border around the edge of tortilla.
- Top with 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of each of the shredded cheeses.
- Fold the sides in then fold the bottom side up and roll to wrap.
- Fill a deep skillet with about an inch of oil and heat over medium-high heat unit the temperature reaches 360 – 365 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Once oil is hot, add two filled tortillas, seam side down and fry until golden brown on bottom. Then, using metal tongs, carefully flip to opposite side and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat frying the remaining chimichangas.
- Serve warm with sliced jalapenos, chopped avocado, guacamole, pico de Gallo, cilantro, sour cream, salsa or hot sauce.