How to Make Rotisserie Style Chicken
Ever wonder how the grocery store makes their Rotisserie Chicken taste so good? Well, I spill the secrets and share my favorite recipe so you can make your own Rotisserie Style Chicken at home. Slow cooker, oven or rotisserie, this chicken is flavorful and amazing. So easy!
Let’s talk about meal planning……ok, let’s not. It’s not a thing that I do. I know a lot of you (and a lot of bloggers for that matter) have extensive meal plans and they outline the steps for a successful meal prep day and package all their food up in neat little containers to have for easy meals on the go. Cool, right? I guess, if you’re that kind of person (and I occasionally share others meal planning tips on Facebook if you want to check it out.) But me..I’m more fly by the seat of my pants. Plus, if I know I have to eat a certain thing on a certain day…I may revolt, wasting all those packaged meals in the process. So, I’m more of the no-plan plan. And when I’m in a bind, I turn to the trusty grocery store Rotisserie Chicken. Which isn’t too shabby if you ask me.
A lot of people turn their store bought rotisserie chickens into something else like Enchiladas or Thai Salad with Peanut Sauce (seriously, check those out!) but me…I eat it straight out of the bag or little plastic container it comes in. They’re always moist and tender with a bazillion spices so the flavor is totally banging. There’s no need to turn them into something else or throw them in a soup. The only thing better than picking up a chicken on the way home is making one yourself……and that’s almost as easy as driving to the store, finding a parking spot, wandering through the aisles, standing in line to pay, walking back to the car and driving home.
And I bet you have all the spices you need to make this beauty in the comfort of your own home…..and the leftovers are better than the store bought bird! Seriously! It takes about 10 seconds to make the rub and you can even do it a day in advance, rub the whole chicken inside and out…and let it rest overnight. That’s for maximum flavor….if you can handle it. Then you roast on your rotisserie, in the oven or pop that baby in the slow cooker before you leave for work in the morning. And dinner….it’s so easy….and you won’t even want to turn it into anything else than a chicken dinner with some green beans and mashed potatoes. You’re welcome.
How to Make Rotisserie Style Chicken
Make your own Rotisserie Chicken at home with the same herbs and spices your favorite grocery store uses. Tender, juicy and perfect every time.
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 5 pound chicken innards discarded
- 1 onion cut into quarters
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, pepper, cayenne, sage and garlic powder to combine.
- Pat the chicken dry, inside and out. Rub the chicken inside, outside and under the skin with the seasoning. Refrigerator the chicken for 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Rest for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Stuff the onion inside the cavity and cook as follows:
- For rotisserie, cook over a rotisserie grill for 1 hour and 15 minutes until cooked through. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- For oven roasting, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roast the chicken in a roasting pan for 1 hour or until cooked through. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- For slow cooker, place the chicken in the slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for 7 hours or high for 4 hours. Serve immediately.
The slow cooker method will yield a fall off the bone chicken so carving will not be necessary.