Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe
This easy side dish is full of fresh, zingy flavor! Mexican Street Corn Salad is a twist on my favorite Mexican restaurant’s street corn but made even easier. A great addition to any party and quick enough for a fun weeknight dinner.
I think when you get to this point in the year….you just yearn a bit more for summer. The seesawing weather really affects my mood to the point that I just want it to get hot, already, so I’m sweating profusely and need to eat ALL the watermelon within a five mile radius. Everything about the summer is better….beyond the weather. The produce is spectacular, the sounds of the evening are soothing and the summer cookouts always have the best dishes. Like creamy macaroni salad spiked with lobster, sweet and caramelized baked beans and now….Mexican Street Corn Salad.
I’m a little obsessed with corn on the cob…it’s the best part of summer. Dripping with butter and salted more than the average person would like, I could eat a dozen ears all by myself. So, when I started to see Mexican Street Corn popping up all over Pinterest years ago, I vowed to make it myself. And I did…but it’s a mess to eat. Like, you’ll have stains on every square inch of your clothes…or that’s just me.
That’s when I decided to turn it into a quick and easy side dish… and this Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe was born. Now, I’m not claiming to have invented the salad concept….but I definitely improved upon it in my own way. And, to be honest, I thought I DID come up with a pretty new idea until I googled it and then….there it was. Mexican Street Corn Salad 50 billion ways. But I made my own anyway.
I started by charring the corn kernels in a skillet with a bit of oil. Just until they begin to smell toasty, then I let them cool before tossing with red onion, green onion, cilantro, jalapeño and cheese.
I whisked together sour cream, a little mayonnaise, a little more cheese, chili powder, cayenne and lime then tossed the salad to coat.
It really is the best tasting side dish I’ve ever made. Filled to the brim with vibrant flavor that is completely and utterly addicting. It’s so perfect served alongside some simple Barbecue Chicken or my favorite spicy ribs. Mexican Street Corn Salad is definitely one of those dishes you’re going to make again and again and again.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups corn kernels (thawed, if frozen)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces Cojita cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the corn to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes or until slightly charred, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the corn to a mixing bowl. Add the onion, jalapeño, green onion, cilantro and cheese. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime zest, lime juice, cayenne pepper and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the corn mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with additional cilantro and Cojita cheese, if desired. Serve immediately
Salad can be made up to 8 hours in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 223kcal Calories from fat 115|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|