Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
A family favorite! Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is cozy and comforting. Easy to make with ground beef, tater tots, cheese and a creamy homemade sauce that comes together in minutes. A Tater Tot Hot Dish recipe you’ll put on repeat!
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
If there’s one thing I can get behind it’s a big ole cheeseburger and a pile of tater tots. It’s just total comfort food and when the weather is chilly, there’s nothing I crave more. So, I thought….why not put the two things I love so much together and make one bit Tater Tot Casserole!
All the flavors of your favorite BACON Cheeseburger mashed up in a homemade tater tot hotdish recipe. My mom was a big casserole maker when I was young. We had them for dinner all the time, like this easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole, and why would you not, casseroles are the one pot wonder that we still love making today. This Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole recipe is no exception.
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
Tater Tot Casserole, also know as Tater Tot Hotdish, is an all in one dinner. Layers of ground beef, bacon, cheese and tater tots are baked together in a creamy cheese sauce until bubbling and golden brown.
Topped with pickles, chopped tomatoes, MORE bacon and lettuce, if desired, this easy weeknight dinner recipe is a big hit with the kids. My picky husband even loved it….but what’s not to love about a tater tot recipe that’s swimming in a bacon cheeseburger, essentially. Right?
I knew it would be a hit after everyone devoured this easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole the first time I made it.
How To Make It
This easy cheeseburger casserole comes together pretty easily and can even be made in advance. It’s fantastic for a weeknight dinner when time is short.
Simply, cook the bacon in a skillet (this one’s my favorite) until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and drain off all but two tablespoons fat. (Note: If you have leftover bacon from the weekend, this will cut time significantly!)
Brown the ground beef in the skillet until cooked through. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
Add the onions to the skillet. Cook until golden and soft. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Stir in the cheese and remove from the heat.
Arrange the ground beef and onions in a single layer on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish (this is the one I use all the time). Top with 3/4 of the bacon, 3/4 of the cheese and pour the cheese sauce over the bacon and beef.
Layer the tater tots on top and transfer to the oven.
Bake the tater tot hotdish for 45 minutes and then top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 10 more minutes.
Sprinkle the casserole with the remaining bacon then top with bread and butter pickles, chopped lettuce, tomatoes and onions, if desired.
Sometimes to mix things up, I love to add mushrooms while cooking the onions. It adds a little more meatiness to the recipe without adding a ton of calories.
What To Serve With It
This hotdish recipe is really a one pot meal so you can really just serve it by itself BUT if you’re looking for something to freshen up the flavor we like it alongside this easy Wedge Salad. Or a simple side salad with Thousand Island dressing is really good, too.
How To Freeze It
If you want to make this Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole in advance and FREEZE it, I like the way you think! This tater tot casserole freezes incredibly well. Just assemble the casserole and do not bake it. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and then cover with foil.
Be sure you assembled your casserole in a freezer safe baking dish, these freezer safe baking dishes are LIFE CHANGING and I highly recommend them.
After covering your casserole, transfer to the freezer for up to 3 months.
To bake your frozen Tater Tot Casserole, uncover and remove the plastic wrap. Cover lightly with foil and bake according to the recipe instructions below. Increase the cooking time to 1 hour before topping with the remaining cheese to finish baking. Check your casserole for doneness using an instant read thermometer which will register 165 degrees when the casserole is cooked through.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- You can’t go wrong with a dump and go Teriyaki Chicken Casserole!
- This easy Stuffed Cabbage Casserole has all the flavor of stuffed cabbage without all the work!
- Tuna Noodle Casserole that’s better than your mom’s!
- This easy CHEESY Dorito Chicken Casserole is our new repeat meal.
Get the Recipe: Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1/2 lb bacon , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced vidalia onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 ounce frozen tater tots
- baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium high heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions to the skillet. Cook until golden and soft. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock to the skillet and whisk until smooth. Add the half and half, garlic powder, onion powder and worcestershire sauce, stirring to combine. Continue to cook until thickened.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese and remove from the heat.
- Arrange the ground beef and onions in a single layer on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish (this is the one I use all the time). Top with half of the bacon and 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the bacon and beef.
- Layer the tater tots on top and transfer to the oven.
- Bake the tater tot hotdish for 45 minutes at 350˚F and then top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 10 additional minutes.
- Sprinkle the casserole with the remaining bacon. Top with bread and butter pickles, chopped lettuce, tomatoes and onions, if desired.