Chicken Divan Casserole
Cheesy, creamy Chicken Divan Casserole is a classic dish every family will love. So easy to make, it’s perfect comfort food for busy weeknights. One pot dinner bliss.
Does anyone remember the Welcome Wagon? You know, those people that stop by your home when you’re new to the neighborhood and then organize a meal train to bring you delicious casseroles to make your move even easier. I wish they were still around because I just LOVE a homemade casserole and this Chicken Divan Casserole is just classic comfort food.
Bursting with a creamy cheese sauce, tender chicken, rice and broccoli, this one dish casserole just screams family dinner. It’s really simple to throw together with leftover chicken or chopped rotisserie chicken.
What is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan is generally made with broccoli, chicken and rice baked in a rich mornay sauce. It’s named after the Divan Parisien Restaurant in the New York City Chatham Hotel where it was served as the signature dish in the early twentieth century.
Sounds fancy, but now it’s served up as a family chicken casserole that even the kids just can’t get enough of.
How To Make Chicken Divan
This may not be a traditional Chicken Divan but it tastes just the same. My recipe is a little easier and can even be prepped in advance for a quick weeknight dinner where you just pop it in the oven.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, half and half, sherry, lemon juice and zest.
- Stir until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, stirring until smooth.
- Arrange the broccoli in a baking dish.
- Cover with rice and half the sauce.
- Top with the chicken.
- Stir the cheese into the remaining sauce and stir until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the casserole.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with the breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
How To Serve Chicken Divan
We love to keep it simple when serving up a casserole but here are some of our favorite ways to serve Chicken Divan.
- Loaded Iceberg Wedge Salad Recipe
- Autumn Apple Spinach Salad with Bacon and Candied Pecans
- Bourbon Roasted Pear Salad with Gorgonzola and Candied Walnuts
More Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes
- Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken Casserole Recipe
Get the Recipe: Chicken Divan Casserole Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken breast
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the flour. Cook the flour mixture until it becomes a deep golden brown.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth cooking until the mixture begins to thicken. Whisk in the half and half, sherry, lemon zest and juice. Remove from the heat. Stir in the salt and pepper until smooth.
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover with the rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir the shredded cheese into remaining sauce until smooth. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately