Crispy chicken cutlets are topped with a refreshing light and tasty salad to create the ultimate healthy weeknight dinner. Easy to make, Chicken Milanese with Artichokes, Kalamata Olives and Maple Dijon Dressing will soon be a regular recipe in your weeknight meal planning.
We are huge chicken dinner fans here so I’m always looking for quick and easy chicken dinner recipes I can whip up on the fly to keep things from getting boring. This easy Chicken Milanese recipe is one of our favorites because you can totally customize the way you top it….or just leave it plain.
Very similar to these Parmesan Chicken Cutlets, chicken Milanese is simple to make in minutes and kids love the crunchy exterior that coats the tender, juicy chicken breast.
What is Chicken Milanese?
Chicken Milanese is a chicken recipe that originated in Milan. Commonly made with veal, Milanese can be made with other proteins like chicken and pork.
Milanese recipes generally are made with thin cuts of meat that are then breaded and pan fried. This Chicken Milanese recipe can be made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally or with chicken cutlets. Breaded and shallow fried, they cook up crisp and tender.
How to Make It
This chicken milanese recipe is simple to make and great for packing in your lunchbox.
- Pound the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap until 1/2 inch thick.
- Whisk the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper together in a shallow dish.
- Whisk the egg in a second shallow bowl and fill a third shallow bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, then the egg and last the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken in the pan and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Cook the chicken until golden brown and crispy, approximately 3-4 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until crisp and golden.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Whisk the lemon juice, mustard, syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper until combined.
- Arrange each chicken breast on a plate and top with the veggies, olives and cheese.
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve!
You can serve chicken Milanese on it’s own with the salad on the side, if you prefer.
What to Serve With It
This recipe is perfect for entertaining so we like to add a few other side dishes to bulk up the dinner just a big.
If you’re looking for a quick, healthy dinner that the entire family will love then you definitely want to try this Chicken Milanese with Artichokes, Kalamata Olives and Maple Dijon Dressing. I even served a side of THESE amazing green beans …and since dinner was super light, we still had room for this AMAZING vanilla bean pudding.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
Get the Recipe: Chicken Milanese with Artichokes, Kalamata Olives and Maple Dijon Dressing
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups spring mix salad
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped canned artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata pitted olives
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 pepperoncini
For the dressing:
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place one chicken breast in a zip top bag and close tightly. Pound the chicken breast until it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper and onion powder to a shallow bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the eggs to a second shallow bowl and beat lightly. Add the panko to a third shallow bowl and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Dredge one chicken breast in the flour, the egg and then the panko. Place the chicken in the pan and repeat with the remaining chicken. Cook each breast until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes and then turn over using a spatula. Cook the other side until golden brown and then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil. Bake the chicken for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place each chicken breast on a plate and top with 1 cup of salad greens. Divide the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives and cheese evenly among each plate. Top each with one pepperoncini and drizzle with the dressing. Serve immediately.