Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
Buttery and creamy, easy Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes are simple to make with just a handful of ingredients. Roasted potatoes in butter, garlic, herbs and olive oil are the simple side dish that goes with absolutely everything.
Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
Weeknight dinners are tough. Especially in the winter. After working all day (and did I mention all the dishes I do before 3PM), the last thing I want to do is destroy the kitchen with loads of dishes that have to be cleaned….again.
So, I’m always looking for easy recipes to make for dinner but sometimes the side dishes get lost in the shuffle. I tend to grab a bag of frozen vegetables to dress up or just roast a baked potato but I really love a side dish that seems a little more decadent. These Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes are just that. Roasted to perfection but so insanely easy.
This easy roasted potato recipe is super simple and you can mix up the flavor by adding whatever herbs you have on hand. The simple roasting process yields the most buttery, melt-in-your-mouth tender potatoes with a crispy skin. They’re positively addicting!
What are Baby Potatoes?
Whenever we go out to a steakhouse, there’s sure to be a side dish of roasted baby potatoes available to order. They’re the perfect accompaniment to our favorite Filet Mignon but they also go well with a roast chicken for Sunday dinner.
Baby Potatoes, also known as New Potatoes, are just any variety of potato that has been harvested before maturity. Most often you’ll see baby red potatoes or baby yukon gold potatoes (my personal favorite!). They can also be called creamer potatoes and can be as small as marbles or as large as a golf ball.
How To Roast Baby Potatoes
My roasted baby potatoes recipe couldn’t be simpler to make. I like to try and find potatoes that are about the same size so they all cook evenly at the same time. I find I have the best luck looking for baby potatoes in the bulk bin at the grocery store but if you don’t have that as an option, just grab a bag of baby potatoes.
If your baby potatoes vary greatly in size, you can slice the larger potatoes in half to help even out the cooking time.
- Toss your baby potatoes in a large bowl with olive oil, melted butter, finely minced garlic and chopped fresh herbs. I like to use rosemary and sage during the winter months but sometimes I’ll use Thyme, oregano or fresh chives to mix things up.
- Pour the potatoes and olive oil mixture into an oven safe baking dish, this is my absolute favorite baking dish for roasted new potatoes.
- Roast your baby potatoes in a 350˚F oven for 45 minutes, tossing after 20 minutes to promote even browning. Your potatoes are done roasting when they’re fork tender.
- Sprinkle with more fresh herbs right before serving and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt or coarse kosher salt. Keep things simple when serving your roasted baby potatoes because once you bite into one you’ll realize they’re magical just as they are.
Sometimes I like to make my roasted baby potatoes with parmesan because they saltiness of the cheese is fantastic with the buttery potatoes.
What To Serve With Them
I love the versatility of this easy baby potato recipe because you can really serve them for any occasion from a casual Sunday dinner to a fancy pants dinner party. They’re great alongside this Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon or this easy Oscar Style Filet Mignon.
Want to see what else we’re cooking up? Be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
My go-to baking dish set for all things casseroles, brownies, dips and more. I’ve been using these ceramic baking dishes for years. Oven to table to dishwasher!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
More easy potato recipes you will love
- Easy Potatoes Au Gratin…..kick that box to the curb!
- These super simple Lyonnaise Potatoes are meltingly tender.
- Bacon Parmesan Roasted Potatoes are EASY and ADDICTING.
- More baby potatoes with these simple GRILLED Garlic Potatoes in Foil!
Get the Recipe: Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes Recipe
- 3 lbs baby potatoes, cut in half if necessary
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs, sage, rosemary and/or thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and add the olive oil, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. (If you want more butter flavor, you can also add 2 tbsp melted butter.) Toss to coat.
- Transfer the potatoes and herb oil mixture to a baking dish.
- Roast the potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes. Toss the potatoes to coat. Return to the oven to roast for another 25 minutes or until fork tender and golden brown.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with kosher salt and fresh chopped herbs before serving, if desired.