Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwiches
Feed a crowd or just a huge appetite with these quick and easy Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwiches! Crispy chicken cutlets layered on a soft, chewy ciabatta roll slathered with pesto mayonnaise then topped with roasted peppers and sautéed broccoli rabe. This is a bite of Italian flavors you won’t want to miss!
Football season is winding down and I didn’t even know it started. I’m not much of a fan. The sound of a football game just makes me soooooo sleepy! But that doesn’t mean I’ll ever turn down a good tailgating party because….HELLO….the food! Don’t you agree that the food is the best part of football season?
And it gives you a chance to chow down on things you wouldn’t usually eat on a normal day….like a fully loaded Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwich. This thing is pretty epic as far as sandwiches go, packed full of so much flavor it’s literally bursting out the seams!
Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwich
I’m a huge cheerleader for BIG sandwiches! And not just a big sandwich for one….I like to make one GIANT sandwich to serve at tailgates and fall parties because it’s so much EASIER to serve than making a bunch of tiny sandwiches.
My love of the big sandwich started with this Pressed Italian Picnic Sandwich inspired by the classic Italian Hoagie I love at the deli down the street. It just gets better the longer it sits at the bottom of the cooler and this this Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwich recipe is pretty much the same deal.
It all starts with a large, looooong ciabatta roll. You can use whatever long roll you’d like but this one was almost two feet in length making it so serious in it’s epic-ness.
HOW TO MAKE IT
Super easy to whip up, this Chicken Cutlet Sandwich is better when made in advance. One day is sufficient for all the flavors to get married and be happy.
Make the chicken cutlets. I like THIS Parmesan Crusted Chicken recipe but you can use your favorite.
Make the Basil Mayonnaise by mixing basil pesto with mayonnaise. That’s it. Easy, peasy. Make extra to put on all the things.
Spread ALL of the basil pesto mayo on both sides of the roll then let the sandwich building begin.
Top the spread with a layer of provolone cheese, I like mine sharp but you can use mild or a little of both to make all your guests happy.
Arrange the chicken in a layer over the cheese.
Top with roasted red peppers and sautéed broccoli rabe.
Place the top half of the roll on top
Slice into single serving pieces or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (slice before serving if making a day ahead.)
What to Serve It With
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
If you love this sandwich as much as we do, you will also like this New Orleans classic Muffuletta! It’s also perfect for making in advance.
Get the Recipe: Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwiches
- 4 Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cutlets
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, chopped into 2 inch long pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 6-8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, cut in half lengthwise
- In a shallow bowl or baking dish, whisk together the flour, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt and 1/4 tablespoon pepper to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk the milk with the remaining garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs and cheese to combine. Set aside.
- Dredge 1 chicken breast half in the flour to coat, shaking off the excess. Dredge the chicken in the milk and then the breadcrumb mixture pressing the breadcrumbs into the surface of the chicken to help it stick. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Add the chicken to the skillet being sure not to crowd the pan. You may need to do it in batches of two chicken breast halves at a time.
- Cook the chicken until crispy and golden brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. When the chicken releases easily from the pan and is golden, flip it over and continue cooking on the other side until crispy.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside
- Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli rabe to the pot and blanch for 1 minute. Drain the broccoli rabe and pat dry with a towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet and add the broccoli rabe to the pan. Saute the broccoli rabe for 2 to 3 minutes seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and pesto. Spread the mayonnaise on the cut sides of the bread covering completely.
- Layer the provolone cheese on the bottom half of the bread. Top the cheese with the chicken.
- Arrange the roasted red peppers and broccoli rabe on top of the chicken.
- Place the top half of the bread on the broccoli rabe and slice into individual pieces approximately 3 inches wide.
- Serve immediately.