Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
When you need something that warms your body and soul, this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is sure to get the job done. Equal parts comforting and scrumptious, this easy to make soup never disappoints! It’s made with all of your favorite chicken noodle soup ingredients all stirred together in a thick and creamy broth.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup really is the ultimate comfort food. On those evenings when you need a little extra something to keep you cozy, this is the recipe to turn to! It features all of your favorite chicken noodle soup ingredients like egg noodles, chicken breast, and veggies, but it’s all stirred together in creamy broth rather than your standard chicken stock.
While warm, comforting meals like this are usually best when served during chillier months, I won’t lie… I make this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup year round. Whether it’s because someone in the house is sick, it’s dreary and gray outside, or just because the craving hit, there’s really never a bad time of year to enjoy this creamy take on a beloved classic soup recipe.
Another thing I love about this soup (besides how satisfying it really is) is how easy it is to make! In less than an hour, you’ll have a dinner on the table that the whole family will love. It’s a one pot recipe that always hits the spot, and you’re left with so few dishes to clean up when you’re all done. After a long day when you need a comfort meal, isn’t that just what you need? A hearty soup with minimal cleanup always sounds like a good idea to me!
How to Make It
Cook the noodles. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Cook the onions and garlic. In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Create the creamy broth. Remove from heat and stir in flour. Add salt and pepper. Gradually add chicken broth and milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once it starts boiling it foams up quickly, so keep an eye on the stove.
Add the remaining ingredients. Add cooked noodles, peas and carrots, cooked chicken and rosemary. Continue cooking until heated through.
Enjoy! Serve and sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.
Tips for the Best Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- If you like your soup with less noodles and more broth, use only 1 cup or less of dry egg noodles.
- Add the liquid to the flour very gradually to avoid lumps from forming.
- Add seasoned salt, bay leaves, thyme, or oregano for more flavor if desired.
Have any leftovers? Lucky you! This soup keeps very well in the fridge. Simply store your leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It doesn’t freeze very well, so make sure to enjoy your Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup within that 3 day window!
How should I cook the chicken breast?
The chicken can be cooked and seasoned any way that you desire. I seasoned my chicken with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then baked it in the oven at 400°F for about 35-40 minutes (or until the internal temperature reached 165°F). You can also just buy a rotisserie chicken from the store that’s already cooked and ready to eat.
Substitutions to Try:
- You can substitute rice for the noodles.
- Instead of using pre-made chicken broth, use 3 ⅔ cup water and 4 bouillon cubes.
- No milk on hand? You can swap the 3 cups of milk for an equal amount of half and half. You could also use 2 ½ cup milk plus ⅓ cups heavy cream for an even creamier consistency.
Make a pot of the best soup with these easy recipes!
Get the Recipe: Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 cups dry, wide egg noodles
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup flour
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 14.5-ounce cans low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups milk or half-and-half, or 2 ½ cup milk plus ⅓ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup peas and carrots, cooked
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon rosemary, optional
- Fresh parsley for garnish, chopped
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour. Add salt and pepper. Gradually add chicken broth and milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once it starts boiling it foams up quickly, so keep an eye on the stove.
- Add cooked noodles, peas and carrots, cooked chicken and rosemary. Continue cooking until heated through. Serve and sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.