Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts are the BEST veggie side dish ever! Trust me, this is going to be your new favorite way to prepare brussels. They’re so crispy and seasoned on the outside while being deliciously tender on the inside. It’s such an easy method and will make even the pickiest eater at the table love their veggies!
Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Ready to smash some brussels sprouts? This veggie side dish is actually pretty fun to make! If you have a little one running around the house that’s fond of smashing things, they’ll love helping you with this easy recipe. Essentially, the brussels sprouts are boiled until tender, smashed, seasoned, and baked until nice and crispy. Did I mention you get to smash them? It might just be my favorite part.
So, why smash them? When the brussels sprouts are boiled, they become very tender and moist. You can retain those elements inside of them while making them crisp up perfectly on the outside by smashing and baking them! Plus, the smashed shape of them makes them easy to bite into and eat whole, depending on how big your brussels sprouts are.
If you’ve never been a fan of brussels sprouts, there’s a big chance that you just never had them made quite right before! Honestly, smelling steamed or boiled brussels sprouts isn’t always the most pleasant experience. Don’t let that smell scare you off, though. Once they’re smashed, seasoned, and baked, they become pretty impossible to resist.
How to Make Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Boil, smash, drizzle, bake, enjoy! This quick and easy side dish recipe is sure to become a new weeknight staple on your dinner table.
- Boil them. Boil the brussels sprouts in salted water until fork tender. Drain and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Smash them. Arrange the brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Smash each one with the bottom of a glass or measuring cup.
- Drizzle and season. Whisk together the olive oil and maple syrup. Drizzle this over the smashed brussels, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast them. Pop the tray in an oven preheated to 450°F for about 14-16 minutes or until crispy around the edges. Flip the brussels sprouts and continue cooking for another 12 minutes.
How do I serve Smashed Brussels Sprouts?
Just before serving, I like to sprinkle my roasted brussels sprouts with a little parmesan cheese. If you’d like to take a saucier approach, serve them with your favorite dipping sauce on the side and dunk them like you would a nugget.
Serve this easy veggie side dish alongside entrees like The Best Oven Baked Chicken Breast, Pan Fried Pork Chops, or The Very Best Filet Mignon. There’s not a whole lot that Smashed Brussels Sprouts don’t pair well next to!
How long will Smashed Brussels Sprouts stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftover veggies you have will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. I don’t recommend reheating your leftover in the microwave! That’ll just zap the crispiness right out of them. Instead, toss them back in the oven or your air fryer and reheat them until they’re warmed through.
Can I freeze Smashed Brussels Sprouts?
I don’t recommend it. These oven roasted brussels sprouts are meant to be enjoyed while they’re still fresh and sadly don’t hold up very well once they’ve been frozen. Be sure to enjoy them either the day they’re made or within that initial 3-4 day window!
Eating your veggies has never been this easy or delicious!
Get the Recipe: Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- 2 pounds Brussel Sprouts, trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon course black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- 1 baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the Brussel sprouts to the pot and cook until fork tender, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Drain the Brussel sports and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Arrange the Brussel sprouts on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Smash each Brussel sprout with a glass or measuring cup by pressing down on them until it splits.
- Whisk together the olive oil and maple syrup. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the brussle sprouts.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss to coat.
- Roast the Brussel sprouts in the oven until beginning to brown and crispy around the edges., approximately 14-16 minutes.
- Flip the sprouts and continue roasting until crispy, approximately 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.