Easy Denver Omelet Egg Muffins
Breakfast on the go, these easy Denver Omelet Egg Muffins are the perfect portable way to start the day. Make a big batch at the beginning of the week to make it easy to fuel up on busy mornings.
Today, we had that snow storm I’ve been asking for all winter….it was supposed to be pretty massive. Our area was in the 8-10 inch zone, it was exciting and annoying and I cancelled my Valentine segment on my local news station because I figured it would be pretty treacherous driving into the city. School was cancelled. Anticipation was high and then…..nothing. Well, not nothing but very little. Just a few inches, maybe four? So little, my husband wasn’t sure if he should use the snowblower. But it’s a snowblower so even if you have 1 inch, pull that baby out. Right? The whole storm was a bit of a letdown and I’m hoping for another….now, still…or an early spring, which would be way better. But I’m going to be real and remind myself that it’s only February and we have a long ways to go before I see the first daffodil poking through the ground.
BUT not so long that I shouldn’t keep getting my butt on the treadmill, which I’ve been doing pretty religiously! (I think I just hurt my arm patting myself on the back.) And I’m trying to eat a little better, cutting out the wine, salt and sugar just a bit. I found that if I have some things available to eat before I get too hungry I have a successful week. And since I hate trying to find something to eat after a workout, I started really hitting it hard with the meal prepping….things like these breakfast burritos and Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches are such lifesavers when I’m starving in the morning. I also started making these Easy Denver Omelet Egg Muffins and they’re so good, they’re hard to keep around!
I’m a huge fan of the Denver omelet…which is just an omelet with peppers, onions, ham and cheese. They’re simple but flavor packed and when I order them at the local diner I can taste the butter……like seriously, it’s so much butter it fills you up and weighs you down for hours. So, I wanted that same great flavor combo in an easy and healthy breakfast that’s ready in seconds. Literally. Like 30 seconds in the microwave. Yes, really.
I make these Easy Denver Omelet Egg Muffins in a standard sized muffin tin and bake them in the oven. They come together in a snap and last about a week in the fridge….unless the vultures eat all of them first. They’re fantastic with a glass of Cold Brew Coffee or a chilled fruit salad, either way….this is an omelet you can eat on the go! I used to take these to work with me all the time and I can’t believe I’m just getting back to making them now. Such a huge timesaver! You will love them, I promise.
Easy Denver Omelet Egg Muffins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced Canadian bacon
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced orange bell pepper
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a standard sized muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened. Stir in the bacon and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- Divide the onion mixture evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle each with cheese.
- Divide the egg mixture among the muffin cups filling until about 1/4 inch below the top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the egg is fully cooked.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 4-5 minutes then loosen the edges with a knife to remove.
- Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.