Double Chocolate Banana Bread
The BEST Banana Bread for those overripe bananas….chocolate lovers, this is for you. Double Chocolate Banana Bread is rich, decadent and moist with a thick chocolate glaze on top will squash any chocolate cravings you’ll ever have.
Whether you have bananas right now or not, you’re going to want them as soon as you see this Double Chocolate Banana Bread. It’s, seriously, one of the best recipes I make with overripe bananas and I don’t make it enough, to be honest.
A few years ago, I made a Triple Chocolate Banana Bread that’s really, pretty amazing, too but I didn’t add a glaze….something I loved from my first banana bread recipe I posted here like 10 years ago.
I knew the chocolate ganache glaze needed to make another appearance on top of a bread recipe and it was only fitting to go hog wild by making another deep, dark chocolate banana bread for the occasion.
CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
Banana bread is a type of quick bread that is tender and moist, they’re super easy to make and use baking powder as a leavening agent.
This version uses cocoa powder to give it a rich, chocolate-y flavor you’re going to swoon over.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
This easy Banana Bread recipe is made from scratch using ingredients I always have readily available in my kitchen….so you will, too. I like to keep this double chocolate banana bread recipe simple so I can easily turn it into fancied up banana bread if I feel the urge.
Here’s how to make banana bread:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter beating at medium speed until fluffy.
On low-speed, add the banana, milk, greek yogurt and eggs mixing until combined.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
Keeping the mixer on low-speed and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat just until blended.
Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
It couldn’t be simpler to make so you’ll definitely be keeping this one on repeat with all those forgotten bananas that manage to appear week after week.
Now, all you need is the thick, chocolate glaze to take it over the top.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE GLAZE FOR BANANA BREAD
The chocolate glaze for this banana bread recipe is super simple to make.
Bring the heavy cream to a simmer and add the chocolate. Turn the heat off and cover the pot with plastic wrap.
Allow the chocolate to melt in the cream and stir until smooth.
Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the bread and allow to set.
Then dive it!
TIPS FOR MAKING MOIST BANANA BREAD
This simple Chocolate Banana Bread recipe is unbelievably moist because of the ingredients I use. I, also, like to use REALLY ripe bananas because they’re less dry and starchy than yellow bananas. Underripe bananas can suck the moisture out of the other ingredients leaving you with dry, crumbly banana bread. That’s just no good.
So, the key is to use high quality, moisture rich ingredients like I do for this moist banana bread recipe:
- VERY RIPE Bananas (leaning toward brown but not black….heavily freckled bananas will work well, too.)
- greek yogurt
- baking soda
Some people use vanilla and other extracts in their homemade banana bread recipe but for a basic, simple banana bread I like to keep things minimalist. The banana adds enough flavor all on it’s own and why would you want to cover that up with vanilla or anything else for that matter.
If you don’t want to use greek yogurt or are not a fan, you can make this Banana Bread with sour cream instead. It works just as perfectly!
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
We love to mix in things to this easy recipe just to change it up.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- walnuts, pecans, chopped almonds
- chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, white chocolate
- raisins, dried cranberries
- espresso powder
Get as creative as you want, banana bread is pretty resilient and goes well with sooo many mix-ins!
DON’T MISS A RECIPE! Be sure to follow us over on Instagram and Facebook for more easy family recipes!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- loaf pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana about 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter beating at medium speed until fluffy. On low-speed, add the banana, milk, greek yogurt and eggs mixing until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Keeping the mixer on low-speed and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat just until blended.
- Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- Place the heavy cream and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at high for 1 minute or until chocolate melts, stirring every 20 seconds. Cool slightly and spoon over bread.